Tired of Leaky Coconut Liners? Try This Hanging Planter Hack!

$5

Everytime I water my hanging flower baskets with coconut liners, I end up with a flooded mess! I don't even think half of the water saturates the roots before it all leaks out onto my front steps. This hack keeps the water in and your planters with the perfect amount of moisture to keep them growing strong! All you need is some burlap and a diaper! Kick those expensive coconut liners to the curb.
tired of leaky coconut liners try this hanging planter hack
Tired of this leaky coconut liner everytime you water your plants? Me too!
Step 1) Measure the diameter of your basket hanger.

Step 2) Cut a circle about 2" larger than the diameter of your basket frame out of burlap.
Step 3) Pin burlap ribbon (with a finished edge) to the outside edge of your burlap circle.

Be sure not to use ribbon with wire in it! It could break your sewing machine.
Step 4) Sew along the edge to attach the ribbon to your burlap circle.

Step 5) When you are finished attaching the entire ribbon, it will look something like this. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect! Don't forget to close your edge of the ribbon.
Step 6) Place the burlap liner into the hanging basket frame. Fold the ribbon edge over the frame nicely.

It may be bulky, but you want it to be a little loose to ensure your planter fits perfectly and the liner isn't too tight.
Step 7) Now the fun part! Using an expensive diaper, cut the tabs off and place it right side up into the center of your planter.

The gel in the diaper will create the perfect amount of moisture and prevent heavy water leakage throughout the planter.
Step 8) Re-attach hardware pieces through the burlap.
Water your planter and enjoy a leak-proof basket liner. All of the water stays right where it should be an evenly distributes throughout the soil of your beautiful flower basket. No more leaky mess!

• Barb

Where is burlap sold?

• Rhonda

Rural King has burlap coffee bags for $1.50 where I live. They are about 2' x 4' each side of the bag. Remove the thread that holds the sides together and you get approximately 2' x 8' piece of burlap. It will have printing on the outside but the inside does not

• Barb Johnson-Giese

Why not just use the diaper in the coconut liner? It would save time and possibly cost. Just a thought...

• Kate

Why not line with plastic inside the burlap?

• Linda

I like the idea and I believe Julien likes the idea of making her own creation--which is what Hometalk is all about, right?

• Amanda Esterday

Hmmm the whole point of the diaper is to use the insides of it, and mix it with your soil to keep your plant moist. I'm not sure how well this is going to work by just sitting a plant on the diaper.

• Diana Wassom

Actually think this a great solution. The diaper material acts as a reservoir so water drains through the soil then is reabsorbed as the soil dries. No soggy soil.

• Dianne

I've been doing this for some time. I buy a small pkg. of cheap diapers, cut down the sides and remove the plastic liner, lay the insides in the planter on your coconut or burlap. This will soak up the extra water and wick it back into the soil as it dries. Less frequent

watering!