Asked on Apr 28, 2017

How do I fix a burned out outlet?

DavidNancy TurnerBill
+2

• Entire unit needs to be replaced. Do you know why it shorted out?
  • Tec9987951

Entire outlet has to be replaced, work should be done by a licenesd electrician, circuit must be checked to find why it shorted out. Check electrical codes in your area before attempting to do it yourself. Rember electricalpower can kill you.
  • Bill

I would get a electrician to check the wire as it may have over heated and the insulation is crumbling then why did the outlet burn out could be put too many things that draw a lot of amps and there goes the outlet but you also need to know if the other outlets that are tied into the burned out one what shape they are in as I have seen the wires that were smoked from the end outlet all the way up to the circuit breaker and melted the breaker so better to be safe than sorry get the professional
  • Nancy Turner

I happen to have one of those hubbies who knows how to repair almost anything. He knows how to check all the things above, so we have not had to hire anyone. I would say get a professional if you don't have a friend or relative knowledgeable one this subject. Better safe than sorry since doing anything wrong with electricity can easily kill you. Even the little things can harm you.
  • David

The outlet must be replaced if it burned. There are heavy duty duplex outlets that are more durable than the cheap ones. Hopefully you have a friend or relative who can replace it safely. If you're not familiar with electrical work, don't attempt it yourself. As a last resort, get an electrician!