Asked on Apr 28, 2017

How to I fix this Bedside Table,.....?!?!

Elizabeth Michels PinizzottoMor7989189Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+5

What could I do to make this look better and more sophisticated so to speak?.... it's reallllllly worn but the other matching one is not remotely that bad.
  • Danielle

It's got great bones and the stain color is quite pretty too, there's just a bit much of it. Why not sand down the top and try to match the original stain as close as you can, then paint out the rest of the body of the piece in a light grey chalk paint, but keep the drawer fronts the original color as well. Seal the refinished top with marine varnish since it looks to me like it's probably water damage from drinking glasses being set on it without coasters that caused a lot of the wear, and marine varnish will make it tough enough that that won't be a problem.
    • Lindsay Dillon

Great tip and suggestion. Ty! Being a salt life kinda girl I never thought about this but makes sense.
  • Chris

If it's not veneer, you could sand down the top and varnish it and then paint the base. I've seen some good posts on this website. I was at a moulding store in our city that sold wooden decorative pieces, you could mount those to the front of the drawers and change out the hardware. In fact, I think Michael's sells them too.

Whatever you do, be sure to take pictures and post!
    • Lindsay Dillon

Ohhh thank you, yes I've eye balled those decorative pcs for yrs now, I wasn't sure about painting the bottom half, as I just did alot of painting and we'll those are posted but I'm sorta pondering my Dining Table debacle ...lol I'm trying to match it to my new homes interior which is pretty sophisticated and I feel like my furnishings don't match!
  • Great tables! I would refinish both at the same time. And if it were me, I would have glass cut to fit the tops of the tables - then no worries about hot or cold beverages on the table. Plus you can put in anything flat underneath to glam it up! And easily changeable whenever you get the whim.
  • Mor7989189

I had the same problem with my nite stands, dresser and chest of drawers. I bought faux leather cut it to fit tops. Sprayed adhesive on top and laid faux leather on top. I then hot glued the underside (ridge) with hot glue - going a little at a time, corner trimming the corners. To finish off, I got some decorative nail heads and pounded them in about every inch. It turned out looking very upscale
  • Depending on if you want to redo the entire table, you could just Modge Podge the top with a nice fabric or paper.