Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Need a better display idea

SharonDonnaJewellmartin
+8

I'm trying to display all of my Japanese/Chinese decor together. I only have these vases, the bamboo pagoda, the fan, and a child's kimono about size six, sent to me by my father when he was on R&R in Japan before the Korean War. Ideas?
  • Those are beautiful things. I have seen restaurants display kimonos on the wall, either in a frame or with a dowel through the sleeves. If you have a chance, visit some local restaurants for how they display items . Sometimes great ideas come from the strangest places.
    • Jewellmartin

Thank you! They just kind of fell together as a collection after fifty+ years. We seldom visit Chinese restaurants, but I'll be watching now for more ideas.

Copy and paste the link in your browser. Click on a photo and go to the site.

I would also attach the pagoda and fan to the kimono! Find a prominent location to display all items together.

• Jewellmartin

Thanks! I've already decided to move everything from the bedroom chest to an old sewing machine table in the family room. I'll check out the site!
  • Sal3170064

I think it would look lovely if you painted the chest with a black lacquer finish. Add a shelve above also painted black, to display the cases and fan. Then hang the kimono with a rod above this.
  • Jewellmartin

What a great idea! That reminded me that I have a black-enameled music box from 1962 from China. This is a possibility. Thank you.
  • Sharon

You could also paint the chest red over black and distress it. Add some large tassels from two of the knobs, or change the knobs out for some oriental hardware. You could also get some oriental paper and decoupage it on the front or 4 corners, or decorative paint a design on.... https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Chinese%20cabinet&rs=typed&term_meta[]=Chinese%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=cabinet%7Ctyped
    Paint a floating shelf over the chest in same color, and put the vases on it.
    I too would put the kimono on a rod, that you could also paint black.
    • Jewellmartin

Whoa! I have a couple of large tassels made by my mother-in-law, who is almost 100 now. She blended silk yarn with wool and cotton yarn. This would be a subtle addition to blend Japanese, Chinese, and American art. Thank you!
  • Donna

I have used cafe style curtain rods to hang kimonos, space the brackets just inside the width of the kimono sleeves, the pull the front of the sleeves over the bracket to cover it and the brackets.
  • Sharon

Jewell that sounds great!