Karen
Karen
  • Cardiff By The Sea, CA
Asked on Apr 28, 2017

How to clean mold from shower grout around tiles

Marilyn FalconeMary SerafineC.B.
+2

• Judy Ferrell

Don't use bleach! Scrub with vinegar and baking soda till clean then seal.
  • Patti

Hi,

If you soak bleach onto a long string of cotton (like hairdressers use around the head for perms, etc) and let it sit overnight, you will kill the mold and your tile grout should be clean. You can simply tape it in place.Or, you could first try soaking the cotton wrap with vinegar. It will also kill the mold. It doesn't always remove all the staining though.
  • C.B.

We have public restrooms with tile floors in them; we do a once per week application of bleach water to sanitize them [1 teaspoon per gallon of water-max. of 2 Tablespoons per gallon IF there is a mold/mildew issue-haven't had one yet].
  • Mary Serafine

I clean homes for a living. I've cleaned a lot of grout in shower areas. I use a cleaner with bleach and a brush. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes. Scrub with brush, rinse.
  • Marilyn Falcone

Use a peroxide based cleaner (Lysol makes one). Clorox, even diluted, degregates grout. After many uses the grout will crumble. I make my own peroxide solution to clean my siding.