Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Install rubber mulch

PsellersJanet PizaroWilliam
+5

I am thinking about buying rubber mulch for part of my yard (have 2 grand kids) to cushion their falls. Is installation required? if so do I need to hire someone or can we just spread it out?

Before you put that mulch in there are conflicting stories with chemicals the mulch releases.
  • Psellers

Its just mulch, spread it.
  • Dfm

the rubber mulch is pretty common here in Iowa as a cushion under the swing sets. i would put down a weed barrier, then the mulch. be generous with the mulch. it will smell like tiers for a while. oh ya about the weed barrier- some weeds can get through them. find weeds and kill b/4 mulching.

Its just recycled rubber tires. Chopped up and dyed. Spread like any other mulch.

sorry I do not agree with you it has chemicals that are proven to be dangerous to the environment
  • Psellers

Rubber mulch is sold in bags now just like your pine or cypress mulch...just different texture. You can spread it just like the other. You might prefer to use a rake rather than gloved hands due to it maybe rubbing off.
  • Psellers

I guess you can read on the bags on whether there are safety concerns. I would think tho that reputable places would take that into consideration before putting on the open market considering it's used much in childrens' parks & playgrounds.