Asked on Apr 28, 2017

Help! Previous owners had pets and I'm allergic.

Specialty Air PurifiersNicole PLaurie Adams
+3

We just purchased our first home. The sellers had a large long-haired dog. I'm allergic to cats and dogs. We just started bringing in boxes and my eyes are itchy. What's the easiest way to get rid of pet dander in an attempt to bring the home back to a pet-free (and itch-free) zone?
  • Gen22933929

wipe down everything with vinegar water.mop floor and carpet with it too. white vinegar works well. Just cleaned mine no more orders or hair.
  • Take a benedryl or whatever you normally take and clean the house from top to bottom before putting anything away. If at all possible call a local carpet and floor cleaning service and get them to come out asap. Chances are you will get a "move in" special - no sense on being miserable in your own home. Too bad you couldn't have done all this before starting to move your stuff in. But make the best of it now and enjoy your new space! ☺
  • Erin Fisher

Some carpet cleaners also clean wall and ceilings, I would have them do this too for you, The get the duct work cleaned as well, pet dander is everywhere, save your sinus and get someone to do it for you. You wont be sorry
  • Laurie Adams

Yes, like Erin suggested, I would get the air
    ducts cleaned. Usually, you can find coupons in your neighborhood mailers (since you are brand new, maybe ask a neighbor). If cleaning the carpets don't help, and it may not, you may have to replace the carpeting. Don't change filters or vacuum bags yourself, have your spouse do it for you.
  • Nicole P

Definitely get the ducts cleaned. You never know what's in them. You can hire a maid that will clean top to bottom. If you let them know what they are there for, that might help. Also, try a air purifier.
  • Specialty Air Purifiers

We suggest not only using allergy meds, but investing in an air purifier and furnace filter that can remove pet allergies from the air. Pet allergies are caused by pet dander. Here are is a page that will offer help.