Felicity Wallace
Felicity Wallace
  • Maineville, OH

Dolly's Things

I found a doll sized, old fashioned high chair at my local Goodwill for $12. It was 50% off day so I ended up paying $6 for it! I knew it would be a perfect Christmas gift for my doll-loving 8 year old. It was large enough to accommodate even her largest dolls. The best part was I already had all the supplies I needed on hand!
dolly s things
The high chair was very wobbly because the legs were loose. Everything else was in good condition. Even the little tray could be raised and lowered without any trouble.
dolly s things
dolly s things
I took apart the highchair as much as was necessary and glued the legs in so it would no longer be wobbly.
dolly s things
My daughter had informed me that she liked the look of real wood so I decided to leave some parts of it natural and paint the rest. The parts that I planned on painting I sanded until the finish had some grip to it. The parts I was going to stain I sanded down to bare wood.
dolly s things
I used primer in order to avoid any kind of wood color bleeding through, then I set about painting the chair. Her favorite color is green and I already had a mint green latex from a bookshelf I worked on previously so I used that.
dolly s things
After painting it green it looked....boring. Wanting to jazz it up I decided to paint all the grooves pink. That was just the spark it needed!
dolly s things
The natural wood pieces were stained with Early American (by Minwax), which I already had on hand. After painting and staining I used Polycrylic to seal the whole piece.
dolly s things
My daughter loved her Christmas gift! A few days later she informed me that the high chair was really great and that it could even double as a desk for her dolly!

• Polycrylic in Gloss  (Walmart)
  • Mint Green paint, latex  (Walmart)
  • Early American stain by Minwax  (Walmart)
Felicity Wallace