Asked on Apr 29, 2017

PUSSY WILLOWS: Does anyone know how to root pussy willows from a plan

BarbSau7268810Elaine
+3

• Meg Kavanagh

I have heard that you just cut them and put them in a pot. and i have also heard you can put them in fresh water and wait for roots. You have to change the water alot so its fresh. Good luck
  • Sandy Wegmann

Think carefully where you will plant them -- they grow wide and TALL -- I could cut branches from mine (which I started in a glass of water) - from our third floor dormer window in a few years!! LOL
  • Peggy Burnette

Cut branches and put them in vase, when hair like roots appear plant them. Good luck and very simple

• Elaine

Willows root easily in an jar of water and many times, will take root just by sticking the cut stems in areas of the garden that are constantly moist. So, if you have a low lying, wet spot in the yard, insert a few stems and see what happens. I would suggest not planting willows close to the house, though, as I've been told roots can create havoc with underground pipes and septic systems, etc. You might want to ask your garden centre about this.
  • Sau7268810

I have rooted them myself by just putting them in water .

• Barb

Cut them in early spring before willows turn to leaves. They should root in water after few weeks. Then plant where there's room to grow, tall and wide!