Asked on Apr 29, 2017

How can I get rid of chives growing in my garden?

Nancy TurnerNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAHb
+2

• Susan Bechamp

Funny, I would plant chives in my garden on purpose for their ability to chase away ants, Japanese beetles and other garden pests. I did plant mine in containers around the base of my deck just for that reason. Read this article in favor of chives. http://foodfacts.mercola.com/chives.html
  • Nancy Gramm

I'm with Susan. My first thought on seeing your question was "Why?" Aside from its value in repelling pests, I find it lovely for salads, etc. Do love the taste of flowering chives!

Not an answer you were looking for, I know. Was there a specific reason you wanted to get rid of them?
  • Hb

If you really dont want them there are two options : 1. give them away and 2. grind them up and compost . If you try to compost without grinding they will just continue to grow in your compost
  • I planted chives in my garden as a natural pest repellant. I have clumps all over the place. If you want them out to keep things neat and tidy, they must be dug out and I would give them away. Or have the people you are giving them to, come dig out themselves.
  • Nancy Turner

I control them by deflowering most of them before the seeds dry and keeping only a couple of flower heads that I remove when they are dry to rereed only on the existing clump. In the spring I pull any little plants that come up when they get to a couple inches high, I find them easy to pull when they get to that size. I have found seedlings three feet away even though I deflower before the seeds dry.