What's the best paint to use on an old patio umbrella?

+6
My patio umbrella is black (uck!) and over time has been faded by the sun. I would like to paint it a lighter color - especially the underside. Does anyone know the best paint to use on cloth, or does it matter?
q what s the best paint to use on an old patio umbrella
  • Margaret Buettner Margaret Buettner on Apr 29, 2017
    check out rustoleum paint or try chalk paint & varnish
    • Nancy Skipper Nancy Skipper on Apr 30, 2017
      I'm probably the only person on the planet who is not a fan of chalk paint. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.
  • William William on Apr 29, 2017
    Any fabric spray paint will work! I prefer Dupli Color Fabric Paint from the auto parts store.
  • Belinda Belinda on Apr 30, 2017
    I would do fabric paint too ... an if you wanted too take it a step farther you could hodgepodge it.... AN ALSO AT HARDWARE STORE PICK UP A RAIN REPELLANT
  • Janie Janie on Apr 30, 2017
    If you find the color you want- any Rustoleum paint does the trick. I needed red and it worked perfect- repellant too
  • Ale6301635 Ale6301635 on Apr 30, 2017
    You don't need fabric paint to paint fabric! any paint will work as long as you "scrub" it in with a sponge brush. Spraying fabirc is a total waste of time and $ as it will not give you even color or penetration into outdoor fabric.
  • Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on May 03, 2017
    Good to know.