TIP: How I Remove Popcorn Ceilings

+3
I flip houses and almost all of them have popcorn ceilings. With a little [okay, a lot] elbow grease, you can ditch those dated ceilings!

• Sharon Susa Courchesne Sharon Susa Courchesne on Apr 29, 2017
    Thanks for the link! My husband did this in our last house before we moved in. Was pretty messy but definitely worth it!!
  • William William on Apr 29, 2017
    My crew and I used to remove popcorn ceilings years ago. Messy, time consuming, and costly for the homeowner. About 15 years age Georgia Pacific came out with 1/4" 4' X 10' drywall just for this purpose. We started covering up the popcorn ceilings with the drywall. The 10' length meant fewer seams to mud. We installed crown molding in the corners so no mudding the corners. Cut the cost down to almost half.
    • See 1 previous
    • I've heard of this kind of solution before! I need to try it!
  • Wanda Woolard Wanda Woolard on May 06, 2017
    I was just wondering why everyone hates those ceiling now. I watch the fixerupper shows and they always say they have to go. Dated! Imperfections of Sheetrock not as noticeable with popcorn. Not an answer for you but I guess it is like bell bottoms~ just have to wait till it comes in style again. We will be keeping ours till then. Lol Good luck on the flip.
  • Kelly Condie Thompson Kelly Condie Thompson on May 06, 2017
    You could also hang a false ceiling with the ceiling tiles that would completely cover the popcorn. It might lower your ceiling, but you wouldn't that mess to contend with.
    Or another idea is to cover it with tin tiles, you know the antique, patterned ones that look so striking these days? I supposed they would just go right over the popcorn and disguised the whole mess. The problem is that some of that popcorn stuff can have dangerous components in it (asbestos). I'd get an expert opinion before I started trying to remove it.