Asked on Apr 30, 2017

I'm looking for ideas for lighting on an open front porch...

JewellmartinJudy DavisGoldrushgal
+2

During summer I would like to sit outside a bit at night; maybe read. But there is no light, no outside electrical outlets. Battery operated lights would make sense except I would have to take stock in batteries because they wouldn't last long. What can I do to get lights on the porch without attracting bugs? Thank you.
  • Deborah

If you have windows that open onto the front porch you can put lamps in the windows and place your seating next to them to get the light. Otherwise, unless you want to pull electrical through to the porch your options will be battery operated or candle lanterns like Uco. The bugs will be attracted to the warmth and light no matter what you do. You can limited them using yellow filters but that would also be more difficult to read by.
  • Goldrushgal

We just purchased solar spot lights from Costco that are very bright. They come with 3 LED panels that are ajustable to just about any angle and you can set how long they stay on. We were totally amazed they give off as much light as lights that plug in. When not reading you can flip the switch to make them come on as motion activated lights.
  • Judy Davis

If all else fails, take your flashlight. lol
  • Jewellmartin

Solar lights make the most sense to me, and they come in so many varieties. Since you said this is for your porch, why not hang mosquito netting, thin drop cloths, gauze by the yard, or filmy sari material? Even if you don't wrap the whole porch, you could do a smaller area to keep bugs off you while you are reading. Use thicker material like sheets for cooler months.