Ann
Ann
  • Medford, OR

Make Gorgeous Art For Your Garden

$6.00

I've been making these garden art balls for years after seeing a great forum on Garden Web for bowling ball art.
make gorgeous art for your garden
For this ball I found a glass light globe cover at the thrift store for $1, then tried out this adhesive. It worked like a charm!
make gorgeous art for your garden
It is best to do half the ball at a time and let it sit overnight so the adhesive can set up well.
make gorgeous art for your garden
This gorgeous orb is now in my Mom's garden! Other adhesives I have tried with good results are E6000 and Shoe Goo. They are all variations of the same silicone based formula and are perfect for gluing glass to just about any surface. They are water resistant and remarkably smelly, so do this project outside with good ventilation!
make gorgeous art for your garden
I've used bowling balls, glass light globes, plastic Christmas balls and even styro foam balls. My next project will be a hamster ball, which is about the same size as a basketball. I will do it in blue glass, of course!
make gorgeous art for your garden
Here's a close up. I used GE Silicone II and six bags of Dollar Store half marbles to cover this ball.
make gorgeous art for your garden
I made my first from a bowling ball, shown above bottom left. It is now over 15 years old and still looks great!
Ann

• Margaret Marquez Clark

Does the glue work in Arizona heat?

• Blu22259467

I have a glass lamp shade (round) that I bought at a charity store for this project.
    My question is that I am concerned that the weight of the marbles may crack the glass. Any thoughts on this please?

• Blu22259467

Your work looks great! Thank you for your prompt reply. I am in Oz and have found it very difficult to get coloured marbles (I think they are flavor of the month here at the moment). I have painted a stack of them with bright cheap nail polish, and tested a couple with E6000, results seem good. Now that I have your reply I can forge ahead!
      Thank you so much.
      Carmel

• Linda W

Ann your globes are great. I'm working on one now but I have trouble keeping the gems in place, they slide off. I've used tape to hold the gems till they dry. What did you do? Maybe my E6000 glue is old. The globe I purchased had an end like an ornament top with a rubber cap which went into the metal stand. The cap fell off and evidently I needed it because the aqua color disappeared and I was left with clear glass. I'm redoing the aqua globe.

• Steve Jazowski

I'm gonna try one.

• Kim23179502

Get solar light at Wal-Mart kind that put up in but have line few feet that solar panel has on stake that way light will light up ball but panel separate with on stake. Globe will light up but need to seal bottom get maybe tomatoes stakes wire you put for tomato plants make shorter spray paint green or silver.. put glitter on clear coat push in ground ball on top. Solar panel line in sun AWAY from globe . That would be so pretty. Light up with gems at night. .I'm going to make and post it ya......kim...

• Cra12830736

What kind of opening is it that allows liquid in? Size wise? Could you close it with some clear waterproof silicone sealant? Is the opening larger than your largest half marble? (Glue a Marble over the hole(s)?)?