Pat Collins Pattison
Pat Collins Pattison
  • Australia
Asked on Apr 30, 2017

What to do with a wall behind a wood burning stove?

AnnaJoh7772173Mindy
+3

We have a wood burning stove in out living room with a chimney that goes straight up through the ceiling. There is a heat shield on the back and a black hearth under it any ideas to jazz up the wall behind it?
  • My brother and his wife did some really cool tile. Since it wasn't a huge area they could spend more on the tile to make it look fantastic.
  • Meg Kavanagh

i would use some brick or stone
  • Mar7837393

We have a wood stove between 2 sets of French doors. We used faux stone from floor to ceiling [ no baseboards or crown molding] from door to door.
  • Mindy

whatever you use has to be heat proof. I saw some heat shields at the fireplace store that are decorative, look like stone or brick that meet the requirements for wood stoves.
  • Joh7772173

I agree with the tile and brick suggestions. Both are quite 'homey' looking. Behind our stove, on the wall, I have an enameled metal tree branch with leaves for decoration. It's pretty and the guys like to hang their wet caps on it in the winter for a quick dry. Pretty, but practical!
  • Anna

This would be a perfect area for installing a faux brick or ceramic wall. I would increase the fire resistance too.