Asked on Apr 30, 2017

Can a Maple tree live after being struck by lightning?

Ginny RawsthorneConnie KPeggy Burnette
+3

Our tree was hit 2 years ago. We wrapped the bottom 6 feet up with tree wrap and are still getting buds this year. Our landscaper says once a tree is hit with lightning it will last 2 to 3 years only, is he right?

It is possible it may not survive,however you can nurse the tree and wait it out. Cut any severely damaged branches and seal them with pruning spray.Give the tree extra water as trees general when struck are split and loos water.
  • Janet Louks Hustek

We had a silver maple struck by lightning; it's still growing today and it has been about 20 years.
  • Sherri Taylor

I have a locust tree that was hit several years ago, and it's still going.
  • Peggy Burnette

Yes, you may have to cut out some of the dead or reshape it. Our Maple was struck by lightning and after some pruning it looks great.

• Connie K

If you like the tree I would wait it out and see what happens. From the other comments it appears some people have had great results. Also, you have some good suggestions on care to give it the best chance. Maybe your local extension service can give you advice on additional care to give it the best chance. Good luck!
  • Ginny Rawsthorne

I have found that bushes and trees will fill out and flourish if I remove all the dead wood and branches. If there is dead stuff there it blocks sunlight, air and hinders new growth. It sometimes takes a year or so but I have had good luck with all kinds of plants, bushes, and trees.