Asked on Apr 30, 2017

Why do my beautiful lilac trees never bloom?

Janet crossMaryl630Pam Vaughan
+5

I have two lilac trees that come spring, have beautiful green foliage. But when it's time for the ends to bloom, all the flower buds shrivel up and never bloom. I have tried lime, different fertilizers, but no luck. I have not taken a soil sample to the local extension office.

Where are they planted? Do they receive ample water?When have you fertilized? What kind of fertilizer was used?Were they pruned at any time?
  • Lisa Aho Ferguson

It's been awhile since I fertilized, since it didn't make a difference. They are in full sun against my cedar fence. I also have a huge hydrangea bush on same line that did the same thing for 20 years. Now it has the most abundant blooms ever.
  • Snoce

Mine only bloom on new growth branches. When do you prune them?
  • Elga Ray

Have you tested your soil? They need good soil and fertilizer to bloom. Sometimes, trimming them back will help also. Do they get enough sun?
  • Pam Vaughan

my best year yet! I have been growing mine for 5 years first 2.. nothing!! 3rd 2-3 blooms.. last year maybe 15 This year its loaded!! I did put some coffe grounds around the bottom because i thought it had a powdery effect to the leaves each fall.I just did it this spring tho. I thought I was buying bushes... these things ar20+ feet tall !! never fertilized or pruned yet! Beautiful !! :)
  • Maryl630

Do not trim lilacs after the Fourth of July. If you do, you will be removing next year's flower buds.
    You may need to give it a severe root pruning. I did this to one lilac that hadn't bloomed for several years and it worked. It has bloomed every year since and that was at least twenty years ago.
  • Janet cross

I have also read to put bone meal around them every 3-4 months... I am trying that this year