Adele DuranGO
Adele DuranGO
  • Tutorial Team
  • Bayfield, CO

How to Build a Backyard Waterfall up a Slope

$1500

Greatest Mother's Day present ever -- was building a waterfall in our backyard together with my son. Thanks also go to another older son who contributed a few heavier rocks as well, and my hubby who was in charge of hooking up the plumbing aspects and critiquing as we went along.
We now have something beautiful that we all did together to enjoy for many years to come. Here's how the project developed with most of the back-breaking labor handled over a long weekend.
Mike at site
Mike at site
Here's the site with my son Mike in front. He's 6' tall, the fall will be 22' total length with a 6' basin pond below for the circulating water.
connects to older koi pond
connects to older koi pond
Here's what the fall will connect to. A koi pond we built a few years back and established with aspen trees, cotoneaster, water lilies and irises.
I want the falls to look like they sprang up out of nature to cascade into the pond below.

Dig site
Dig site
Step 1 Dig it out. Determine a natural flow that works with gravity and nature. Dig full length, one to three feet deep into the hillside. 22' long, roughly 10' high, plus 2' deep x 6' ellipse basin. Took me about five hours to dig.
foundation of treated timber and cement block
Step 2 Create a strong skeleton. Contour a Stair-stepping foundation for the stone work and cascades. I used cement block where two 30" drops will be: one at top, one at basin. Landscape timbers used for ten stair-step drops of 9" to 18"

Timbers to the side show where ground terracing will be.
Treated lumber and cement blocks used for this foundation, then filled in with the surrounding dirt.
Side view curvy staircase foundation
Side view curvy staircase foundation
Side view shows how the staircase foundation has a natural flow to it.
Underlayment
Underlayment
Step 3 Put an underlayment over the groundwork. This prevents the stones from damaging the rubber liner.
Underliner clearly shows the full area for the new waterfall. This padding goes over the dirt, blocks and rock and under the rubber liner.

P.S.: After I took this pic, Rich talked me into extending the basin with a 6' creek between the falls instead of going "pondless" A bit more digging, but now the final result appears to connect the top fall to the older pond with a creek. A good call!
Look it up -- "pondless" -- creating a deep basin for circulating the water, rather than an open pond -- and decide which works best for you.

rubber liner
rubber liner
Step 4 Roll out the rubber liner -- overtop full length and up over the basin wall.
Rocking in process
Rocking in process
Step 5 Rock it in. Use rocks to encourage flow and drops. I also leave plenty of excess with the rubber liner to ensure that water flows away from the sides so it is not wasted or blown in the wind. Not everyone does that -- they seem to prefer flatter surface areas and let the rocks provide the direction.

Step 6 Bury the pipe used to connect the pump to the waterfall at the top. You can see the pipe on the mid to lower left-hand side. I just ran it alongside the stream up the hillside and covered up the rest of it with dirt and rocks.
Rocks and plants work in process
Rocks and plants work in process
Step 6 Test the water flow & tweak your rock design. Arrange the rocks to maximize flow while you check for leaky corners or edges. You may need to add more dirt or rocks around outside wall to ensure that your steps are water-tight and secure. Watch also for creating too much wasteful splash. Mix in pebbles. Even small elements will direct water in big ways. I also integrate logs and driftwood into the design to ensure a very natural spontaneous look.
finishing details
finishing details
Step 7 Add plants. You can see I started adding them in Step 6 when I was building up my dirt to secure the rock wall. Junipers, irises, lilies, ground covers. View with rocked in mini-pond and plants added.
Detail view into mini-pond
Detail view into mini-pond
This shows the view dropping into the connecting mini-pond which is where our pump in stored.
Detail waterfall at top
Detail waterfall at top
We chose to naturalize the waterfall at the top so that it really looks like water is just trickling from the top of the hillside.
View looking down from top
View looking down from top
If you stand at the top... here's what it looks like looking over and toward the larger old pond below.
SO COOL!
Side view from basin
Side view from basin
Side view from basin a month later with lilies integrated into the natural landscape. I'll add some pics in the comments section showing how this area has matured.
I can assure you that this water feature has lasted for many years now without a leak of a bit of trouble. (Even after a bear adopted it as a staircase to the coal mine above!) We turn it off when below freezing in the winter and back on in the spring through fall, whenever we want to enjoy it. Just as Mother Nature does with the natural waterfalls in our area after snow-melts and big rains.

The larger pond with fish, below this waterfall feature, circulates water 24/7 x 365.
You can find details on how that was constructed with a tribute to my landscape helper on this youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHY9J9WQ094

To see more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHY9J9WQ094

• Tim

How much does it cost per summer month to pump the water? This is one of the best "naturalized" water features I have seen...BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Tim

Thanks Adele. Keep up the good work.

• JudyH

How many people in your family had to have back and or hernia surgery after this project was completed? I would have been in a long term rehab facility by the time the excavation was halfway done! Beautiful landscaping! I'm in awe!

• Adele DuranGO

Lift from your knees!

Yep. Sure hope it's making me stronger.

We love it.

• Nicole

Wouldn't your water bill be very high?

• Fran Valente Lowell

The water is probably pumped from the lower pond to the top of the "falls" via the tubing Adele & her family put in early in the job. BEAUTIFUL!!

• Shi32403810

One of the most amazing waterfalls I have ever seen well done to all of your family even your grandchildren will grow to love it oh I am so jealous of it it's totally beautiful x

• Adele DuranGO

Thanks. We keep going and adding to our water and garden features with LOVE...

• Gail Callis Berg

This is absolutely beautiful !!!