Asked on Apr 30, 2017

What exactly in organic soil?

SharonShoshana

I have not added any weed killer products or any other products to my garden soil. Is it considered organic?
Ann Marie
  • Shoshana

The USDA defines organic soil as soil with at least 20-30 percent organic matter; that is, the part of soil consisting of plant and animal residues in various stages of decomposition.
  • Sharon

Organic for vegetable growing purposes used to be that no pesticides or chemicals were used in the earth for 8 years before you could be certified organic.
    • Annmarie82

Sharon,
      Thanks for info. Think I read that, but totally forgot it. Hope the weather is nice in Oregon. I spent many summer vacations in Eugene, Oregon. I sell real estate here in MD, but have always liked the architecture in Oregon....the houses have such ambiance., not like the cookie cutter houses where I live.
      Ann Marie
  • Sharon

Yep I call mine the inside out house, its got cedar shiplap on the walls and 8' windows so its a nice burnt orange glow at sunset. Built in 1947, the year I was born.