Asked on Apr 30, 2017

How can I keep the birds from eating my tomatoes?

RebeccaPam KneeboneMarian B Paschket
+2

You can purchase bird netting
  • Candace

I always put a wire basket over my plants too. You can construct your own out of wood and chicken fencing. Or, try making a scare crow out of straw or use one of those you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Michaels in the fall .. this sometimes helps.
  • Marian B Paschket

Squirrels love tomatoes they will eat part of one then leave it. Sometimes they will carry smaller ones off you will find them in the yard.

• Pam Kneebone

lAST YEAR WITH YOUNG FRUIT TREES AND JAPANESE BEETLES ATTACKING, i WENT ONLINE AND BOUGHT NYLON NETTING FROM jO-aNNES FOR $1 A YARD AS OPPOSED TO EXPENSIVE USELESS BIRD NETTING,iT HELPED ALOT!
  • Rebecca

Last year someone suggested planting Haberno peppers near the Tomato plants. It worked! We had five Tomato plants and two Haberno peppers on each side of the tomato plants. No squirrels or birds bother the tomatoes, and we have plenty of both in our yards! We do not like hot foods, so my husband took the peppers to work. His co-worker took them. So no waste on either of the plants. Had tomatoes to January 2017.