Trumpet vines- how can I enjoy them without them becoming invasive?

ConsaveryDenise CookHillela G.

I love the orange blossoms and the hummingbirds they attract. I had used them as a privacy screen around my patio, but heard they can risk threatening the foundation of my home.
How can I enjoy them on my half acre lot without them becoming so invasive and destructive. They send up new shoots easily 15' from where they are planted.
  • Hillela G.

Trumpet vines spread in three ways: by seed, by rooting wherever the plants touch the ground and by underground runners, from which shoots will come up in your garden. To slow down the growth of your plant, remove seed by regular deadheading
  • Denise Cook

Also plant in a pot and set the pot in a hole in the ground. Pull it up every so often to make sure that no roots are escaping the drainage holes.
  • Consavery

Though invasive, I simply love my trumpet vines. We had to cut them down 2 months ago to have a new fence built. Pitiful little stumps were left and my neighbor and I were bereft (she loved seeing them spill over the fence
    from her kitchen window). We pulled out a lot of the roots but they are coming back beautifully. I plan on a better control by digging down each fall and cutting the roots and also quickly removing "rogue" growth. My lovely patio garden wouldn't be the same without them, plus loads of wildlife come to visit, most importantly pollinators.