How can I make the soil in a raised garden bed drain better?

Linda SmithDiane BooneNancy Turner
+3

Our yard holds a lot of water so it is hard to have a garden. We are planning on doing a raised garden bed, what can I add to the soil to make it drain better?
  • Stormy brigance

Lay a foundation of rocks under the soil.
  • Denise Cook

You need to add something to make the soil looser. Compost that's not quite through breaking down. Dead mulch, meaning it's almost soil but still has noticeable chunks. However make sure you don't upset the soil Ph too much with what you add or it will affect your plants.
  • Serai

I agree with Stormy. Rock under the soil will help.
  • Nancy Turner

I agree with a good layer of rock on top of the soil before you put the garden soil in the bed should keep it above the wet ground level and allow the garden to drain well also.
  • Diane Boone

Think of it as a big flower pot. Put a layer of gravel/rocks. You could also put in a French drain that dumps to the lowest side of the bed.
  • Linda Smith

The soil already has a lot of rocks in it. I think we just need to add some organic peat and some compost.