What is the best ground cover to plant into my garden beds (full sun)

Debbie BlackeyInetiaStella Steplowski
+6

What is your location?
  • Stella Steplowski

I live in Michigan. My beds are south facing - full sun .
  • Debbie Blackey

Tyme works pretty good, has nice pink flowers and will spread . You can walk on it too! Eventually you will get a few weeds in it but not so bad you can't take of. Flowering Tyme. Smell nice too!
    • Stella Steplowski

How tall does flowering thyme grow ? Is it considered a ground cover ? Can it be purchased easily at the local Big Box garden stores like Home Depot, Lowe's or Menards ?
  • Inetia

I would go the local nurseries to see what they have that appeals to you and google them to get the pros and cons on them. I would also drive around to see what my neighbors are growing.

• Debbie Blackey

It gets to be about 3' inches tall. You might find it at the big box stores. Just so you know it is an herb. I know one day I happen to see it on QVC on TV which you could go on line and check it out. Otherwise I would go to you locale green house or garden center. I am a Master Gardener and have been using it in my yard for years. The plants will start out small but will spread all the time. I started with a small plant maybe 6years ago now that one plant is about 5' feet by 5' and it's a good tough plant. It's not considered invasive. Yes it is considered a ground cover. It has start to grow popular as a ground cover, so you might find it at the big box stores. I hope this info was helpful Stella!
    • Annieb

Can in be grown in central Florida? Does to tolerate hot sun. What environment does it thrive in? Sunny, partly sunny or shade?
  • Debbie Blackey

I'm not really sure , I know it likes full sun to part sun. But the heat in FL. I'm not sure. I've only done some pruneing of some palms in FL. I know its to hot for me down there. Go to some greenhouses and ask or call the local cooperative extension office in the area in FL. Annie's were you able to find it for OH?