Any advise for growing tomatoes in a container?

CandaceNancy Turner2SU11519138
+4

Use a potting soil for vegetables.Make sure there are drainage holes in the pot.Keep moist not saturated.And tomatoes need six-eight hours of sun.
  • Candace

I grew some beautiful cherry tomatoes in a medium size plastic garbage can.... putting holes in the bottom , small rocks for drainage and setting papers ( about 1 layer of news papers on top of the rocks, then filling the can with soil . I watered the soil good soaking , let it set then planted a couple cherry tomato plants in it. When it started to grow I put a trellis to train the branches to go up. Water daily early morning, sunshine all day and I had a great crop of tomatoes.
    • B

I've also grown beau tomatoes in pots, if the pot is big I use crushed plastic soda, milk bottles to help fill the pot so I don't have to use as much soil
  • Elga Ray

We plant tomatoes every year in a large flower pot and secure the plant(s) to stakes, tall enough so that they can climb up. Make sure they are in a full sun space. We always had good results, clear up into Fall. Don't forget to fertilize also when planting. Good luck.
  • 2SU11519138

Thanks to all! Good suggestions. I live in S. Carolina and right now we are getting a lot of rain. How do you deal with that in containers if they are in large containers?
  • Nancy Turner

Just make sure your container is big enough to allow good root growth. There are a lot of bush type tomatoes out now that are made for pots. Just don't leave them in the pot they grow in. They are still young and not fully grown and are probably already root bound. Good luck and enjoy your harvest!
  • Candace

Great idea!