I really want to paint my Kitchen Island!

SharonSharon SmithDiana Deiley
+2

Ok, I love my small kitchen island Black counter tops and Oak cupboards. But I really want to paint the island base Keeping my cabinets Oak, what would be a good color to paint it an, AND should I distress it? Just lost on this project for some reason. Thanks for your help!
  • Beth Shorts

What is the other predominant colour in your kitchen? What colour is the floor? I would base the island colour from the predominant colour in the room besides the oak and black. As for distressing... is the rest of your furniture/cabinetry distressed, or "shabby chic"? If it isn't, I would only distress the island LIGHTLY, so it looks like a slightly worn, well-loved, well-used piece of furniture.
  • Sharon Smith

I am going to paint the walls a Sandy/Beige color. The floors (which will be replaced, later) are cream with hints of tan and beige. White trim is in the works. Actually, the island now matches the cabinets, but I want to break it up a bit. I am thinking a white, distressed. I usually have a good eye and come up with good ideas, but just have a bit of "Decorator's block" right now.  Thanks for the help any other suggestions you have. Thanks again, Beth!

• Diana Deiley

How about adding white bead board to the base of the island? The island will become your new focal point for your wonderful kitchen. And any color will will work with white. I would not distress it though if nothing else in your kitchen is distressed. Best of luck.
  • Sharon Smith

Thank you! I never even considered bead board and I do like how that looks. Ya got me ta thinkin' ova here!!

• Sharon

What color accents do you have in your decor and small appliances, curtains, etc. Pick up that color on your base.