What paint should I use to paint my cabinets in my kitchen?

Cori WidenLaurie GrantAnna Felesena Summers
+2

• Beth Shorts

Some experts insist that the best paint to use on kitchen cabinets is oil paint because it dries to a harder finish. If you can't stand the smell of oil paint, you can definitely use an acrylic paint, but I would suggest using a good primer first, and stick with semi-gloss or gloss paint finishes since they are harder, and more washable. Good luck!

What is your decorating style?
  • Anna Felesena Summers

If you are not waiting to add a protective finish I suggest getting at least a saton sheen. The higher the sheen the easier it is to clean. But keep in mind also the higher the sheen the more noticable imperfections are. If you go this route you can go with any brand you prefer. I would recommend getting the brands best. I have had good luck with the paint and primer in one. On my cabinets I used my ever so faithful chalk paint. Which I believe I use on everything lol. I have 49 cabinets/drawers in my kitchen and I did two coats on each and used less than 2 quarts! But I did add polyurethane so I could clean them. So ask yourself how many steps do you want to take? How much traffic do the cabinets see? Do you have kids? All this will factor in what you decide is your best route to take. Best of luck!
  • Laurie Grant

There is special paint for cupboards I just sanded mine down a sealed the. Up so they look like wood I wouldn't use a light colour it shows everything
  • Cori Widen

I'm with Anna - chalk paint is good for almost anything- and it has the least amount of prep and finish!