Whimsical Fairy House Planter

Here's how to make a sweetly whimsical fairy house planter using a terracotta pot and other inexpensive items. If you've been on Pinterest or thumbed through decorating magazines lately, you know fairy houses and gardens are all the rage. They add such a fun touch to the garden, and this one is really easy to make!
I wanted my fairy house to be a planter, so I used a terracotta pot. I bought a bag of small stones and reindeer moss at the dollar store and a resin door from Joann Fabric.
I used Gorilla glue to attach the door. I clamped it for 30 minutes for a good seal.
I used (affiliate link) 527 multi-purpose glue to attach the window and stones. Prop the pot on its side, resting against a heavy object (mine was a detergent bottle). so it doesn't roll. Only attach the stones on one side of the door at a time and let them dry, otherwise the stones will slide down the pot when you turn it to work on the other side of the door (which I found out the hard way...)!
Once the stones are dry, use the glue to attach small pieces of (affiliate link) reindeer moss in the gaps between the stones. I used a toothpick to tamp the moss down into the glue.
I added a Bulbine plant in the pot and set my house out in my front garden. I added a small metal chair and resin table to finish my scene. It was a simple project to do and I think it really dresses up my garden!

For more pictures of each step, see my blog post. The link is below! :)

• Terracotta pot
  • Reindeer moss  (Dollar Tree)
  • Gorilla glue

Pam Hoepner

• Janice

Would using a glue gun work for attaching the door, windows, etc?

• Sheila

Do you have whimsical Fairy tree and stump ideas?

• Pam Hoepner

Sheila, I've not done any stump ones, but now that you've given me the idea, they may be next on my to-do list :) I'm thinking it would be easy to make a door and windows using wood or bark, polymer clay, or even Popsicle sticks glued together. Let me know if you make one - I'd love to see it! :)

• Jamie M. Penyak

Did you seal the pot first? Just wondering if when you water the plants and the pot gets wet, will it effect your work?

It's so cute!

• Pam Hoepner

Nope. I do have my plant in a smaller planter inside the big one, though. It's holding up well.