Lo
Lo
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Douglasville, GA

Has anyone had a successful hay bale garden?

Garden Up Green - CaroleLoLinda W
+3

I'm eager to try it!
  • Sha21936974

Absolutely. Have had one four years now. Boxed the bales with wood and get more use. Don't have to start from scratch every year. No weeds, no bending or working on your knees and fantastic yield. We have put in a homemade watering system on a timer so don't have to worry about watering. Can't say enough wonderful things about this method of gardening.
  • Lo

Oh wow!! Boxing the bales- making it look like a raised bed? Forgive my ignorance 😂😂 We have a great backyard but it's mostly shaded. I was thinking of using it on the back deck which gets sun.
  • Fran Eriksen

seen it done and it works great
  • Linda W

We haven't tried it but are eager to. Does it make a difference whether you use hay bales or straw bales?

lsw
  • Lo

And what kind of veggies do you grow in it?
  • Garden Up Green - Carole

I've heard this method is fantastic but I'm more of a dirt gal.. Love the smell of good soil. I did use hay as a deep mulch in my raised beds last year and loved it. Really helped keep the weeds to a minimum and maintain moisture. If you use hay in your garden at all make sure it's all natural - pesticide free which sometimes can be hard to find.