My hydrangeas do not get more than 1 bloom...why?

KidSharonMicky
+2

At some point did you prune them and when?
  • Kay

I don't prune mine anymore and have no problem getting blooms.
  • Micky

I trimmed every yr. in the spring, with no problems. But last year there were 3 blooms on the bushes. This yr. I am not going to trim (unless I see dead stalks in the base) and hope this helps me out.
  • Sharon

If you don't deadhead them after they bloom, you get fewer blooms, so years of dead blooms can prevent new flowers. Also they do better in acidic soil, start putting your coffee grounds underneath the canopy. Or you can buy aluminum sulfate. Mine are 5' tall, and covered in blooms after deadheading that the old lady who lived here had neglected I don't know for how many years.
  • Kid

What I tell my people that just have to prune there plants is to do 1/3 a year this way you can keep the plant shorter and still have flowers. Your hydrangea blooms on the next season wood so new growth this year will bloom next year this is the big leaf hydrangeas and the oakleaf hydrangeas