LaVonne MacGrath
LaVonne MacGrath
  • Jones, OK

How can I get rid of the weeds that developed in my iris beds?

Joni Kelly LmtJanet Pizaro

the last couple of years the weeds have been invading my three iris beds. How can I get rid of them without having to pull each one, which is difficult with all the iris bulbs underneath the leaves.

The only way is to pull them out.Sorry but there is nothing you can use that will not kill your iris.
    • Elaine

I use vinegar by drops on the weed only. Careful not to hit the iris.
      I also use ground cloth around the Irises and put soil on top to keep down.. The weeds under the cloth cannot grow . Good luck
  • Joni Kelly Lmt

Take a leaf blower to your iris beds and keep the leaves off the bulbs. Irises love to have their roots near the top and don't like to be smothered. (It can make the roots turn to mush and you'll lose your beauties!) I'd be careful with the cloth around the bulbs, also - again they like to have their tubers at or even above ground level. There is a wonderful resource through www. schneidersgardens. com - they even have YouTube videos! I wish you and your irises lots of sunshiney days!