May Day Flower Basket

$15.00

Happy May Day! Spring is in full bloom and whether you’re decorating with faux flowers or fresh ones, May Day has always been a day to show off some floral decor. I found a long wall basket at Goodwill recently and even though it was black and not at all spring like, I knew all it needed was a couple of coats of paint and some pretty flowers to have a perfect May Day Flower Basket.
The wall basket is just the right size for our front door. It was in really great condition and priced at $1.99. I removed the ribbon and cleaned it off. It didn’t need much cleaning
I used Rust-Oleum American Accents Ultra Cover 2x spray paint. This is an indoor/outdoor paint, so it will work well for hanging the basket on the front door.
It took two coats of paint to cover up the original black color. Once the paint dried, it was time to start embellishing the basket. I added a small piece of purple ribbon around the top edge. It’s hot glued in place on the back of the basket.
Next, I added some sheer wire ribbon around the basket and tied it off into a simple bow. I added a dot of hot glue in the back to keep it in place.
To match the ribbon, I painted a wood craft letter R using purple using Craft Smart Acrylic Paint in Grape Taffy.
To seal it, I sprayed it with Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic.  Using fishing line, I tied the R to the wired ribbon. 
When I went shopping for flowers, I didn’t realize just how many purple blooms would be in stock at my local Michaels store! I spent a while choosing which ones I wanted to buy. I decided on four different types of blooms in varying lengths for the basket.  Starting with the longest blooms, I added them to the basket and then worked forward and to the sides to add the others.
Using faux flowers means I can keep this May Day Flower Basket on our door until it’s time to change it out for summer decor.
Purple is not a usual color that I use for my decor, but sometimes, it’s fun to change things up a little! I like the pop of color against our black front door. 
To see more, please visit the link below.

• Wall Basket  (GoodWill)
  • Faux Flowers  (Michaels)
  • Ribbon  (Michaels)

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Ardale

Did you partially fill your basket with something like floral foam, plastic shopping bags or crumpled newspaper before putting your flowers in it?
    Just beautiful and love your choice of color! Another good thing is you can just change out your flowers and ribbon to fit the season and use your pretty hanging basket all year long.
    For the lady who asked the question about using hot glue outside. It would be fine if used on a project like this that will be hung under a roof but hot glue just won't hold up to high summer heat, moisture and direct sun. For that you would need a heavier duty weatherproof glue like Gorilla glue or one similar to that.
    • Robin Brewer

Just beautiful. My favorite color. Purple! The formaIa I use when building a flower pot/ basket weather real or artificial. You need a "Thriller " a "Filler" and "Spiller.
  • Frances Ann Hopper Mabry

here is mine'
    , I did the same with a thrift store basket and WalMart daffodils I just had a mama finch raise five babies in the back of it It was fun watching through my glass storm door
  • Kne22106287

What does that letter R stand for?