Looking for inexpensive, durable containers for plants

Katherine AnneDfmAnd1639926
+7

I have a small patio and would love some fresh new ways to highlight plants in the patio. Any inexpensive containers that are functional would be appreciated.

Utilize old wicker baskets,Old shoes,spray paint buckets,old pocketbooks,colinders,old chairs,suitcases.Just make sure everything has drainage holes.
  • Donna Scoggins

Some interesting things to use! I appreciate the variety! Thanks so much!
  • Sharon

The Dollar Tree has a wealth of pots, and other containers that can be used as pots.
  • Elizabeth Dion

I buy inexpensive round garbage cans at the dollar store or WalMart; spray paint them with Fusion plastic paint and plant away! Inexpensive and cute!
  • Bobbie

I love to use $ store wastebaskets, baskets and any eye-catching type of containers. You can decorate them with Paints, colored bead, rocks, anything your imagination can think up..
  • And1639926

go to Goodwill and look for any container. Even if it's ugly think what paint, stencils, gems, etc can do for it.
  • Dfm

if it will hold dirt, and let water thru it is fair game for a planter. Clean well with a non toxic cleaner. Line with landscape fabric to keep the potting mix in place. Plant container with the most compatible plant for the amount of potting mix in the container, sun or shade conditions.
  • Katherine Anne

This is the first year in our first home. We used large burlap bags as our plant containers. Take two pieces of burlap and sew them together or buy large burlap bags, to avoid sewing altogether. Simply roll the edges of the bag down to the height you would want your plant container to be,then you fill with dirt and plant! It's simple, inexpensive and rustic. It allows air and water to seep through and get into the soil. This was not actually my original thought... One of my best girlfriends from the south send me these bags, when I was trying figure out how to afford or improvise some containers for a garden this year without breaking the bank.