How to kill weeds?

HPI22683320Eroque022810Carol Dobbins
+2

Thanks, Hometalkers!

Where are the weeds?
  • Bulldog

Boiling water poured over them works well
  • Carol Dobbins

Does it kill the roots, or do plants like Canadian thistle and dandelion simply come back?
  • Eroque022810

If they come up in flowerbeds then you have to dig them out but the hardest part is getting the entire root. I had a dandelion that had a root at least 8inches long and super thick like asparagus. I couldn't believe it but it came out in one piece. The trick is kill dandelions while still yellow so they don't reseed and same with others. At that point the root won't be so long. Pretty much it's just a battle because the seeds are airborne so if a neighbor doesn't take care of theirs and they reseed they fly around on windy days and you have to keep close eyes on your garden and lawn. So I have tried hot water,vinegar and salt ,none of them worked. I hate to say it but eco friendly stuff just isn't as powerfull as your two hands. If you're not a tree hugger then go for preen or round up. Also keeping your flower beds really full deters them because they can't get root system to grow so you may want to add a lot more plants,fillers annuals or a ground cover they can be invasive so read label carefully. Plus a nice full garden bed looks great.
  • HPI22683320

Gasoline poured over will kill anything. Have used it on poison ivy and it worked!