Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Easy Way to Add a Garden Bed

$30

Dreaming of a new flower bed but don't feel liking removing all that grass? Here's an easy and fast way to create a new bed without using chemicals.

easy way to add a garden bed

We wanted to add a garden bed to the edge of our yard.

easy way to add a garden bed

Begin by laying out the shape of the bed using a hose. With the hose's flexibility, you can create a bed that is any shape.

easy way to add a garden bed

Using an edging tool (a shovel with a flat edge), cut a "v" trench on either side of the hose.

easy way to add a garden bed

Remove the sod that was cut.

easy way to add a garden bed

Lay newspaper on top of the grass in the new bed. Use at least 3 layers of paper, overlapping as you go. You don't want any grass to show.

Work in rows, laying down paper then spraying the paper with water. This will help to hold the paper in place to form a cover over the grass.

Remember to lay newspaper into the trench that was cut, covering the edge of the new bed.

easy way to add a garden bed

Add mulch over the top of the newspaper. The mulch should be at least 3" thick.

With the combination of the newspaper and the mulch, the grass will be smothered within a year.

easy way to add a garden bed

We planted a tree in the middle of the bed before mulching.

easy way to add a garden bed

Allow at least a year before planting any flowers. This will give the newspaper and mulch enough time to smother the grass. Once you are ready to plant flowers, carefully move the mulch to the side and dig a hole through the paper and the dead grass.

• Dalkat91

I have strawberry's, red raspberry's , black raspberry's, blueberry, and blackberry. my question is will that work on these will I plants??????
    • Aiokersonalicea1

If you use three layers of cardboard instead of paper newspaper it will go a whole lot better and yes it will do the blackberries too!!

• Sue Peet

Has anyone ever tried using leaves from the Fall from the past year? That's what I'm trying now, its free. You remove too many of the nutrients when you dig up the grass so I thought if I used a thick layer of leaves over the grass that it would kill the grass. I guess it depends on the leaves, I'm using Maple leaves.
  • Olga

I having trouble with mouth hurting my plans what can I do to get rid of them. Thank you for sharing

• Debra

I used tar paper for a paved patio no more grass

• Ellis

I used this same method, but I used plain brown cardboard boxes, cut up and laid flat. Done in September, and waiting over a winter, with a good bit of rain and snow, the bed was ready to use by the following June.