Not a Lattice Privacy Screen

$40

Do you have something to hide or just need some privacy? This screen will be the envy of the neighborhood!
I have this ugly air conditioning unit at the side of our house that really takes away the beauty of our gardens. I wanted to cover it but still allow air flow and access for maintenance.
Begin by measuring where you would like to put your screen. I added 4" to the width and 18" to the height (12" will be sunk into the ground)
Purchase pressure treated lumber. I bought 4, 2" x 4" x 8' and 6, 2" x 2" x 8'.

Measure and cut the sides and top from the 2" x 4" x 8' cutting to the height and width you need. Add a 2" x 2" x 8" to each side cut to the height you need.
Lay out your screen as you continue to build, measuring your pieces for exact measurements.
My horizontal slates were 4' and 2" apart
My 3 vertical slates were 2' and were 12" apart.

Drill pilot holes (where the green dots are) and begin to screw your screen together. I started by screwing the three vertical slates to the two horizontal 2" x 2"; then screwed that piece into the 2" x 2" vertical side pieces; then screwed the 2" x 2" horizontal pieces into the side 2" x 2" vertical pieces. Screw the side 2" x 2" pieces into the 2" x 4" side pieces. Screw the 2" x 4" piece to the top.

Stain your screen.
Using 6" aluminum metal flashing and wearing gloves, begin on the right side to weave the flashing in and out of the vertical slates. When you reach the left side, bend the flashing into an "L" and cut.
The "L" should be against the 2" x 4" side piece. Nail the flashing into the 2" x 2" side piece. Nail 3 nails into each piece of flashing.
Dig your post holes 12" and add crushed rock to each hole.
Place your screen into each hole and make sure it is level. Add soil to each hole and firm until screen is steady.
Your screen is now the envy of the neighborhood. Get ready for the compliments!
I made an additional screen for the other side that is 2' taller than the front screen. This hides the air conditioning until from the street yet allows access for maintenance on the other side.

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?

• Jul33847626
    Jul33847626

Very beautiful...but would this not affect the air con.. Also did u hinge a door on side u cant see for maintenance? Thx Jules

• Franb
    Franb

I like that flashing. I'm just wondering how the hec I could attach that to my chain link fence. It may rust, but that would give it the rustic appeal. I need to keep one nosey neighbor out of my business and do not want to rip out existing fence. Any ideas would be appreciated w/o the huge expense.

• P
      P
      5 minutes ago

we used the 6' tall reed fencing & attached it to our chain link fencing with zip ties as a privacy screen when my daughter was shy about neighbors seeing her in the wading pool in the back yard. I have seen the reed fencing ( Lowe's & Home Depot both carry it) painted if the natural color doesn't 'go' with your house's style.

• Hugh Bolsby
    Hugh Bolsby
    Yesterday

What about service access i would hope that it's going to be accessible for the a/c tech

• Gloria McKague
    Gloria McKague
    18 hours ago

ll

• R
    R
    12 hours ago

I so loved this look that I used it to square up our side yard for a more appropriate Feng shui look. I have left the corner post tall until I decide on the unique solar light I want to add there. Now this spring I intend to plant an Herb garden behind this for us to enjoy from our windows. So happy with the look!