Not a Lattice Privacy Screen

$40

Do you have something to hide or just need some privacy? This screen will be the envy of the neighborhood!
I have this ugly air conditioning unit at the side of our house that really takes away the beauty of our gardens. I wanted to cover it but still allow air flow and access for maintenance.
Begin by measuring where you would like to put your screen. I added 4" to the width and 18" to the height (12" will be sunk into the ground)
Purchase pressure treated lumber. I bought 4, 2" x 4" x 8' and 6, 2" x 2" x 8'.

Measure and cut the sides and top from the 2" x 4" x 8' cutting to the height and width you need. Add a 2" x 2" x 8" to each side cut to the height you need.
Lay out your screen as you continue to build, measuring your pieces for exact measurements.
My horizontal slates were 4' and 2" apart
My 3 vertical slates were 2' and were 12" apart.

Drill pilot holes (where the green dots are) and begin to screw your screen together. I started by screwing the three vertical slates to the two horizontal 2" x 2"; then screwed that piece into the 2" x 2" vertical side pieces; then screwed the 2" x 2" horizontal pieces into the side 2" x 2" vertical pieces. Screw the side 2" x 2" pieces into the 2" x 4" side pieces. Screw the 2" x 4" piece to the top.

Stain your screen.
Using 6" aluminum metal flashing and wearing gloves, begin on the right side to weave the flashing in and out of the vertical slates. When you reach the left side, bend the flashing into an "L" and cut.
The "L" should be against the 2" x 4" side piece. Nail the flashing into the 2" x 2" side piece. Nail 3 nails into each piece of flashing.
Dig your post holes 12" and add crushed rock to each hole.
Place your screen into each hole and make sure it is level. Add soil to each hole and firm until screen is steady.
Your screen is now the envy of the neighborhood. Get ready for the compliments!
I made an additional screen for the other side that is 2' taller than the front screen. This hides the air conditioning until from the street yet allows access for maintenance on the other side.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

15 Memorial Day Crafts
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings

• John
    John

Won't that impede the air conditioners effectively

• Debbie Keele
      Debbie Keele

There is plenty of open space around the unit and it's beautiful to boot.

• Jul33847626
    Jul33847626

Very beautiful...but would this not affect the air con.. Also did u hinge a door on side u cant see for maintenance? Thx Jules

• Franb
    Franb

I like that flashing. I'm just wondering how the hec I could attach that to my chain link fence. It may rust, but that would give it the rustic appeal. I need to keep one nosey neighbor out of my business and do not want to rip out existing fence. Any ideas would be appreciated w/o the huge expense.

• Franb
      Franb

Yes, I was going to go that route, but its a lot of work weaving them in and out of every chain link. My fences are 9' lg. 5' high.

• Lucille
    Lucille

Kitchen floor do over

• Barbara
    Barbara

This is anazing! We have a large propane tank that our grandkids have painted with “art!” It’s sweet, but an eye-sore! This would be a great cover-up! Thanks!