Not a Lattice Privacy Screen

$40

Do you have something to hide or just need some privacy? This screen will be the envy of the neighborhood!
I have this ugly air conditioning unit at the side of our house that really takes away the beauty of our gardens. I wanted to cover it but still allow air flow and access for maintenance.
Begin by measuring where you would like to put your screen. I added 4" to the width and 18" to the height (12" will be sunk into the ground)
Purchase pressure treated lumber. I bought 4, 2" x 4" x 8' and 6, 2" x 2" x 8'.

Measure and cut the sides and top from the 2" x 4" x 8' cutting to the height and width you need. Add a 2" x 2" x 8" to each side cut to the height you need.
Lay out your screen as you continue to build, measuring your pieces for exact measurements.
My horizontal slates were 4' and 2" apart
My 3 vertical slates were 2' and were 12" apart.

Drill pilot holes (where the green dots are) and begin to screw your screen together. I started by screwing the three vertical slates to the two horizontal 2" x 2"; then screwed that piece into the 2" x 2" vertical side pieces; then screwed the 2" x 2" horizontal pieces into the side 2" x 2" vertical pieces. Screw the side 2" x 2" pieces into the 2" x 4" side pieces. Screw the 2" x 4" piece to the top.

Stain your screen.
Using 6" aluminum metal flashing and wearing gloves, begin on the right side to weave the flashing in and out of the vertical slates. When you reach the left side, bend the flashing into an "L" and cut.
The "L" should be against the 2" x 4" side piece. Nail the flashing into the 2" x 2" side piece. Nail 3 nails into each piece of flashing.
Dig your post holes 12" and add crushed rock to each hole.
Place your screen into each hole and make sure it is level. Add soil to each hole and firm until screen is steady.
Your screen is now the envy of the neighborhood. Get ready for the compliments!
I made an additional screen for the other side that is 2' taller than the front screen. This hides the air conditioning until from the street yet allows access for maintenance on the other side.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Cla22388486

could this restrict air movement and operation of the A C and make it work harder ?
    • Alicia W

No. Two of the sides are not enclosed and the sides that are, air flows through the screen.
    • Me

yes it will not be as efficent
    • Rid21511486

My husband is an HVAC tech and he said not only will it make you a/c work harder due to reduced 360 degree air flow it will also potentially void your warranty
    • Carolyn J Earle

The concept is good. You could use lattice instead. I'd prefer the vinyl over wood. It lasts longer. And would allow for more air flow. Will definitely consider for my new place!
    • Terese Grither

I like it as a privacy screen but would not use it around my air-conditioner

• Nancy Canup Gravitt

NO it will reduce the efficiency and cutbthenlife the unit by as much as half. There is insufficient airflow with this design. We have been in the HVAC business for about 50 years and you NEVER cover an outdoor unit in any way. If you feel the need for a screen it must be at least 3-1/2 feet away and only one side. The design shown here is greatly flawed as it has no airflow thru the bottom under the screen.
    • Nancy Canup Gravitt

I totally agree with Riding.h641. Plus I also noticed when going back and taking another look that there is shrubbery planted on the unscreened as well as plants on the other end which again RESTEICTS AIRFLOW!
    • Gml23500078

I've been in the a/c industry more than 30yrs, if you do something like this you need to be AT LEAST 16" inches from the unit or your efficiency and life time will be greatly reduced, not to mention voiding the mfg warranty. Be safe and check the mfg specifications for clearance before starting.
    • Lavonda conners

Very beautiful work, but not appropriate for it's intended purpose. Your unit needs air movement from all directions.
  • Puppykisser

Wow!!! If I had an ounce of talent.... with that said would it really take a few day to accomplish?
    Thank You 🛠
    • Brendon Cullen

Covered a nice looking A/C with a service persons nightmare. DON'T PUT ANYTHING around your unit it needs airflow. Besides I think that looks worse than it was before
    • Etr21905365

All units need service & replacement, the screen looks lovelynow, but will need to be moved in the future
  • Debbie Angelo

That is a wonderful looking facade for the a/c. Only problem I see is when the unit needs replacing the entire thing will have to be removed and with the posts in concrete that means-destroyed! It takes 2 people to remove and replace the outside condenser unit and a lot of room.
    Great idea though!!!
    • Jewellmartin

Even if the condenser or the whole ac setup did not need to be replaced for several years, I see problems. We have our ac unit checked out once a year for freon (or whatever they're using these days), rust, blockages, or other problems. @DebbieAngelo We live in Texas, also, and the last thing we want to do is cause delays or barriers for our ac guy. He's almost a member of the family since he has been through so many ac crises with us. Maybe if one side of the trellis wall were on hinges instead of being cemented into the ground, this would make sense for us. The trellis is definitely attractive. It is well-designed and I like the dark stain. Best wishes to all!
    • Nda7501353

Just place your posts into plastic PVC pipes that you've hammered into the ground. This way the whole panel can be removed and put back in place easily when needed.
    • Geena

Good fix - putting the posts into plastic PVC pipes!
    • Barbara Baldwin

Ill give anyone a million bucks who can find the word CONCRETE in her post..

• Sta22185885

There is nothing wrong with a privacy fence but is the ac unit still easily accessable from all sides for service technicians. Panels have to be removed to clean and service the unit. Your privacy fence should be able to be easily removed.
  • Linda Hillard

What about the annual spraying of the unit to clean it out? I always spray from 3 sides for a total cleanse!
  • Sharon Peppard

What about air flow around the unit. This has to be somewhat restrictive which could cause damage to a/c unit or at least cause the unit to overheat!
    • Rob5918318

I have been told to keep everything at least 3 ft. from unit to allow it to breath properly, I have a heat pump which works as heat and air conditioning.
  • Gale Em

I would have put posts up and attached the privacy screen to them; this way there is easy removal if needed.
  • Vpo15731048

It is lovely but as others have said very difficult to clean your unit and to work on if needed.
  • Bro15598517

Why didn't you paint it the same color as the house ,so to blend in?
    • Gilmer Gal

It now looks like it belongs in a garden. If painted white, it would stick out like a sore thumb!
    • Dana

I think it looks Great! No negative comments here. I have lived in Gilmore and there is no way you would block access to service or repair it lol. Here comes Summer. And you did it yourself!! Bravo
    • Dana

Darned auto correct. Gilmer!
    • Pamela

why would you paint it - it's perfect. I'm going to do it this weekend!
    • Ann Ellis

I added a bush in front of mine and the service guys told me to remove it
      It blocks airflow to the unit
    • Jane White

The comments about air flow are not meant to be negative put downs on your beautiful project! They are warnings about the interruption of needed air flow for your ac unit. Yes, the units aren't so aesthetic looking, but totally necessary! Perhaps you can pull it away the manufacters recommended space & add to it. It is stunning!
  • Loanne

My husband also created a screen-like wall to put around our A/C but the warranty company said that they would not cover the A/C with it there. Something about "the free-flow of air".
    • Sandra Moreland Thigpen

Your right we were told same thing, not good to cover vents
    • Nancy Evans

Looks like enough room for needed air flow. Check your warranty.
    • Loanne

thank you Nancy, I love your screen. We may need to work on this project again with your idea.
    • MaryJo Ross

Looks like, enough air flow??? I think I'd have an expert look at it before ruining your unit or your warranty
    • Jwl22376630

This screen needs to be at least two feet away from the unit. The further the better. Close in cuts air flow and is not energy efficient. Plus the aluminum flashing stops air flow. Would have been better with lattice at most.

Jim
      Materials Engineering (retired)
    • Dpbeee2

Only covers 2 of 4 sides. Should allow air flow depending on how close the screen is to the unit. Mine is next to my back porch in a corner and is about two feet away from the wall of the house. That screen is quite nice. I would like a whole fence like that!
    • Cat23063529

We had major heat pump repair expense after installing beautiful professional fence/screen around two sides. The technician said though there was room around the unit that it was not enough. I hated having to have it removed. Be wary!
    • Rac21660180

Nice looking screen. As a retired HVAC engineer, I think this kind of equipment looks cool, but most folks would rather hide it :).
      You don't have to guess about the required clearance around the unit. Get the make and model number. Do a Google search for specifications or installation manual based on the make and model. The manufacturer literature will give you the clearance requirements. Usually, it will be a drawing showing the minimum clearances. If you comply with the literature, they have to honor the warranty.
      I looked at Ruud literature for their current models (www.ruud.com/products/hvac/air_conditioners/). They say 6" minimum, 12" recommended. Older models may require more clearance.
      Warranty is not the only issue, though. If you restrict air flow much, you will see a drop in cooling capacity and/or energy efficiency. Also, realize that the clearance requirement on the sides you screened will be based on getting enough air flow for the unit to operate correctly. If the condenser fan (that big propeller in the middle) has to be replaced or serviced, you may have to take the screen down so a tech can get to it.
      Sorry for being long winded.
    • Gail

You did a beautiful job with the creative cover up; however, I believe we were told to not even let plants get within three feet of the air conditioner because of air flow restrictions.
    • Sha16976208

I'd rather see the heat pump unit than that. Just my opinion.
    • Jojo Snow

A previous poster says the screen "only covers 2 of 4 sides." I disagree. The screen itself may only cover 2 sides, but the side of the house blocks a third side. Only one side is getting good air flow.
  • Rose

i thought these units needed
    more air flow than this will allow ?
    • LINDON TURNAGE

They certainly do. 50 years as a pro in the field says they will lose capacity and possibly, no PROBABLY do expensive damage to their machine.
    • RC Leach

I find it hard to believe that the wide open top and the basket weave on two sides only, would not allow enough air to enter. It's at least as hot here in AZ, as it is in Fla, and Home Depot and Lowe's sell AC surrounds here. I had a 10 year extended service plan on my AC unit which was placed on the roof of my home, and about once a year, they found some reason to take off a perfectly good part, and throw it down to the ground, ruining it. I seriously doubt that there was anything wrong with the parts, (the AC worked fine!) until they decided it was time to make a little more money. The only way I would change it, would be to make it removable, for service. Maybe, if the air can't get through the basket weave, the air is just too fat? A way to test it, would be to take it to Alaska in the winter, and try using it for a shelter!
    • F. barwick

RC Leach: you gave me a good laugh - ty

• Wendy Cleare

This lady did a beautiful job, however for those of you who were so quick to comment, please note she never stated or shared that she permanently anchored the screen down . She dug holes 12" , put in rock , screening post then more rocks for leveling, at least that's how I understood it , so at least the screen can be moved for servicing.
      However, if I understood it wrong the my apology
    • Jill Ron Pike

The screen is on 2 sides only. The access panel is facing the side of the house, and the last side faces the bush behind it. Plenty of air flow and access. Also the screen is not anchored into the ground, just set into holes filled with gravel and soil to level it, so it can be easily removed if needed.
    • Sherry Fisher

Lovely job. I hope you continue to share your ideas!
    • Alicia W

Thank you Sherry
  • Kleen

Don't know if I'd build this fence around an A/C unit, but the creation is beautifuL. I can see your fence as a divider in a yard or garden. Your fence is lovely
    • Tasia

You are right, you cannot put this around your air conditioner
    • Jane White

Love the fencing idea, but it is too close to the unit. Nothing, including vegetation, should be closer than 36" for proper air flow. Your fence is simply stunning otherwise!
    • Judy Durr

Great job building a beautiful fence but way to close! I hope your not opening yourself up to a big expense.
    • Jill Ron Pike

The screen is on 2 sides only. The access panel is facing the side of the house, and the other side faces the bush behind it. Plenty of air flow and access. Also the screen is not anchored into the ground, just set into holes filled with gravel and soil to level it, so it can be easily removed if needed. The last part also reads that the panel "hides the unit from the street yet allows access for maintenance on the other side"

• Baba

Beautiful!! Your very creative!!
      i absolutely love the idea...... I have a gate that needs something added for privacy... I am trying to figure out how I could add those to medal rods!!
    • Patricia

I agree it's beautiful however the unit needs air circulation to work properly. Blocking air flow causes the unit to work harder and stay running longer. It becomes less energy efficient which causes higher electric bills
    • Alicia W

The post was not about the air conditioning unit, it was about the screen. You do not have to put them around your air conditioning unit, you can use them where ever you need screening.
    • DuWayne Brayton

That screen has pretty reasonable airflow actually. Look at the permeability of the screen compared to the sides of the condenser unit itself. That screen does less to restrict airflow than the sides of the condenser itself.

• Anne-Marie

Alicia, the screen is very appealing to hide your AC unit, but should be used to hide other things. As a professional in the business, I can tell you it violates the manufacturer's installation instructions and does restrict the air flow. The air flow through the grilles on the sides of the unit have been accounted for during the design of the unit. Putting anything within 12" (the two sides with the fence) when the unit's third side is closer to the house than 12", will cause the unit to work harder, longer and be a lot less efficient and will cause premature compressor failure. The bush on the open side should not be there either, 24" clearance to service panels is standard. I hope you would consider adding to the size of your fence and reinstall it further away from the coils.
  • Jun22424526

How do you get your unit serviced with the screen there?
    • Alicia W

Thanks Jill.. Yes the screen is only on two sides so there is access. Also the screens are not permanently affixed so if the screen need to be removed, that can be done.
  • Den22291902

how protect from the sun, which causes it to overheat
    • Alicia W

I'm not sure what you are asking. All AC units are not protected from the sun.
    • Den22291902

my AC unit sits directly in the sun on the south side of house. Repairman has told us several time the unit "overheats" as a result. Don't know exact terminology. A part and repairman costs a lot. Any guesses?
    • DuWayne Brayton

That really depends where you live. The condenser isn't likely to be in danger of overheating in the sun anywhere where temperatures above 95 or so are rare. As long as it is located on a side of the house that spends most of the day in the shade, it should be fine in places where temps rarely exceed 100, though a screening cover that can easily be opened for maintenance wouldn't hurt in places where that 100f is pretty regular.

You shouldn't need to be too concerned about it unless it spends hours of upper 90s, to low hundreds, directly in the sun, or if you live where it gets considerably hotter.

• DuWayne Brayton

Definitely where Alicia W lives, this shouldn't be a concern. PA is plenty cool enough for it to be quite unlikely to cause any problems.
    • YouDee

I live in Deep South Texas down along the border. It's 90+ 6 months of the year. My AC man has never said anything about overheating. Units do need air flow though.
    • Marsha Linn

I have a frame with 90% screen saving fabric stretched across the A/C. Then attach to house With a piece of wood put hinges on the frame and wood so you fold it up. I placed the frame about a foot above the A/C unit. I also live in S Texas also
    • Katie Nadea

I lived in South Florida for 17 years and never heard of this unless maybe it is a very old unit surrounded by debris, hedges and such. Possible you can go to Amazon and get a small piece of screening for 20 bucks. Make sure it has a couple feet breathing room around it. without falling leaves. choking the vents.
  • Wvl

Just one question, what do you do when it is time to take apart the A/C shell to clean it once or twice a year? Maybe a good idea to place hinges or either make sure access to the A/C shell is adequate. Otherwise, I see a huge A/C repair bill down the road due to not being able to do maintenance. Good idea though. I was thinking of doing the lever bit, but that is so old fashion.
    • Katie Nadea

The OP states she left 2 sides open for maintenance.
    • Believer123

Yes, she did say two sides are open for Maint.
    • Bill

Unfortunately, as an HVAC tech I can tell you that you need access to 4
      sides to clean the unit properly as well as some other service procedures. Also if you cover the wrong side you will have no service access.
    • Ter12222665

Not an answer but another question. If all 4 sides need to be accessible what do you suggest? I live in area where temperatures are usually 95 degree or above the majority of the summer. I used to have a wooden table over the unit with plenty of clearance but had to install new unit and it is much taller plus someone stole the table. I Love this idea and think it is done in great taste but I too believe you Should be able to move it out when cleaning is needed. Any suggestions for a cover for top and sides? I do not own a saw and haven’t ever built anything like this. Thanks!
  • Sue Sanders

I think from pictures this is just a two sided screen with the opposite end from the tallest section being open for maintenance. Don't see why the tallest end has to be 2' taller as is way taller than unit. Would 1' be just as good at hiding the unit.?
    • Alicia W

Hi Sue. You can make your screens any size you want. I made one taller just to show that you can make them any size. If I did it again, I would probably make the taller one a little smaller so the height difference isn’t so big.
    • TW

I would not change a thing. I love the dimensional look of this. It is the BEST a/c privacy screen that I have seen!

• Carol Smth

Living close to the beach in Calif. we rarely need an air conditioner. But I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this screen. Very pretty and creative. GREAT job Alecia W. Thanks for showing us you creative talents. This is one of the nicest projects I've seen on Hometalk.

• Leslie Crickett Robertson

Im totally gonna do this to hide my trash cans. Can you share the demanding that you cut as well as the length of the screen and nails?

• Riv23372483

I am a maintenance person. How do I get in to work on your unit? You cemented it in.

Looks great but has to be movable to work on unit.

• Kelly Grissom

She used crushed rock not cement for that reason. It can be pulled up and replaced when needed.

• GG

I wondered that myself.

• Ashley Leabo

"This hides the air conditioning until from the street yet allows access for maintenance on the other side." She gave only one side to work with. LOL

• Bsc27060987

Wow . like the imagination of privacy fence. Looks good.

• Dee

This looks so chic. What a change!!

• Vicki Mark Bastien

There's a bush on the "open" end and a house on the other side. An HVAC tech's nightmare. Is homeowner willing to pull this out in advance or pay the extra labor to have it done? In high demand heating or cooling weather the tech sure doesn't have the time. Would work great for trash cans though. 😉

• Sandra Cade Smith

I would think a simple revision to the plan would allow hinges on the shorter section so that it could be opened to allow access to the HVAC.

• Hal Schultz

I would have to agree that any AC screen needs to be moveable for HVAC repair or maintenance. They are going to demand that it be moved no matter what you think. The design is still excellent and cost effective. It is not that hard to modify so that it can be easily moved. Just do not put the posts into the ground. What you want to do is buy vinyl posts that the 2x4 post will slip into. Submerge the vinyl posts into the ground at the correct locations for the wood posts and cut the vinyl post flush with ground (maybe a 1 inch lip above ground to prevent dirt and water leakeage into it), Then you can just slip the wood posts into the submerged vinyl supports and all is well. The screen can then be easily lifted and removed.

• Hal Schultz

Also be aware that if you have a HOA, they may bulk at this idea....get approval first

• Lifestyles Homes

Great idea. I was thinking of “pipe bollards” technology myself and this is a better solution.

• Tex28566519

It seems your screen may inhibit proper air flow, did you check that out first?

• Sharon George Powell

My thoughts, too.

• J.L.

Ther are two sides open, will not bother air flow.

• Mary M. Jones

My husband does air conditioning repair he advised not to put this up. Not good for the air flow.

But I like the look.

• Karen Anne Mahoney

she already discussed that aspect. read first before whining

• Pam

weaved landscape fabric would allow better airflow

and if permanent poles had hindged "gates" this would allow for easier maintenance access

• Sandra

You need at least 2 feet around the unit for air flow. Or you will ruin the unit. I just had mine replaced and the HVAC guy informed me of that.

• Jim1824

This design not only inhibits air flow, but it prevents routine maintenance.

• Chris

Be nice!

• Pat whitmus

Very VERY smart looking. Wish to have a way to access it for repairs and noticed you have plenty of air flow too. GREAT idea! And I can think of other ideas where this look would be wonderful too!

• The Trans Am Ranch

I agree. My sister works in this field and she told me the same thing. It needs to be completely open to air. My thoughts are if they didn't want to see it in their yard they should have went with another heating and cooling option.

• Diena Cameron

Are you going to pay for it ? Some people can only afford certain items and until their landscaping matures, I think this is a wonderful option. Maybe they like the looks of it but are being nice neighbors. I for one, would not want to look out my window as a neighbor and have to look at my neighbors unit. I think it looks wonderful and as i said above, maybe it's only being used until their landscaping matures.

I don't understand why people are always so negative towards what someone else wants and likes.

• Diena Cameron

Sorry tex28566519, my response was to someone else's question.

• NCbulldoglover

In looking at the photo it appears only two sides are enclosed the other two appear to be open.

• Pam Robinson

What happens to the aluminum over time, won't it rust?

• Frank Hufstedler

Aluminum Does not rust.

• Laura Cooper

Generally aluminum is already rusted when you purchase it. This is a protective powdery layer on top of the metal that prevents it from deteriorating further. Usually on aluminum we just call it oxidation.

• Karen Anne Mahoney

seriously? aluminum does not rust

• Lifestyles Homes

It will oxidize, but that is not going to be a problem, except at the screw points (if mild steel, not stainless steel screws were used).

• Meg

Karen - It corrodes & deteriorates over time. I’m sure that’s what she was asking. Lighten up.

• Seena

Aluminum corrodes but it does not rust. Rust refers only to iron and steel corrosion. Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion.

But you can purchase a 'Pre Cleaner' and then you can apply a polish that comes in either a liquid or a paste.

It's very interesting and blends well with your yard Pam, nice job!

• Carole Smith

you could always use a heavy plastic like they use in louver doors I suppose, if you are worried about it turning

• Jim1824

Bright steel hardware WILL rust quickly. I don't think stainless screws will react with aluminum and they should be used outdoors.

• Jodie Michael

I just worry about little one's fingers on the sharp edges. But I would hope since she used Roof Flashing, it wouldn't do all the above comments I would hate to keep replacing my roof flashing, in the picture and her list she used aluminum roofing nails. But all in all  GREAT JOB Alicia W it looks great.

• Lsand

How does this effect the sound of the unit? Does it amplify off the aluminum making it louder?

• Jim1824

Any barrier around the A/C unit will reduce noise. Just be sure it's not too enclosed so that it restricts air flow. The aluminum should not amplify the noise as long as it's secured properly.

• Alicia W

No it does

• Mini Albo

Itsloud but YOU'LL GET use to it

• Fran Valente Lowell

@Alicia... it does what--> amplify the sound or muffle it?

• Iri7409382

How can you remove it to work on the AC unit in some time it will have to be fix. Concrete down??

• Audrey Bunch

Would be great for privacy fence, but doesn't heat pumps need to be left open for air flow, etc?

• Shay Clark

You are absolutely correct. This is cute but terrible for the unit. If you want to do something like that use the top of the design only. Back it up with enough room for servicing the unit before you use concrete. It will have to be larger to hide the unit from different angles.

• LeoCarol

NO concrete was used, just rocks

• Fran Valente Lowell

From what I read, the screen is only on 2 sides, 1 side is the building, and the other is open. Plus, there is no top leaving plenty of "air space". LOVE IT!!

• Greg Kovacich

The unit still gets plenty of air flow being that the design is an open weave. Plus the shade it provides helps it operate cooler!

• Barbara Wyles

She didn't use concrete.

• Danielle Leigh

Might be a stupid question but will it rust?

• LeoCarol

Why did you add the crushed rock before you put the screen in the hole?

• Virginia Hale

For drainage, so water would not sit in the hole against the wood post.

• Judy

How do service techs get in to check for semi-annual checkups?

• Pamela Green

It looks so good! I was wondering why the one side is taller? Thought it might look better if the height was all the same. 😊

• Patricia Gates

. . . I like the two heights it is very attractive. If the same heights it would look like a box the two different heights are unique. I think any way I just love them that way, my opinion ! ! !

• Pamela Green

Looks so good! I was wondering why the sides are not all the same height? Think it would look better that way. 😊

• Karin Bee

I think she said it was taller to block it more in the front and shorter on the two sides to allow for easier access for maintenance.

• Hugh Mangan

What what are you got to go through to get to the air conditioner when it breaks down

• Barbara Wyles

The back is fully accessible and the posts aren't concreted in. So it is removable if necessary.

• Erica Smith

@Hugh She states in the article that it is accessible from the rear side for easy maintenance.

• Jamie Clark Cook

Does the air conditioning unit get enough air?

• Jean Dewey

I absolutely LOVE your project! I want to do this to our ac unit but it's in our backyard and we just have neighbors on each side and a field behind us. I don't want to look at our old unit either! Any suggestions?

• 34124293

Make it a 4 sided box (or 3 sided if one side is against your house)... Make one side either removable (latched on) or gated with hinges. With 3-4 sides it would also be easy to put a top on it as well.

• Carol Smth

Could one attach heavy duty rollers to the bottom of a 3 sided screen which could allow it to slide in and out when necessary. Might have to concrete a small section on each side for the rollers to move easily. Not too much additional work to have a beautiful screen like this around one's unit. Make it big enough to have adequate air clearance around an A/C unit. I think this is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l-.

• Lindsey Lou

Wth all the metal around won't it get to hot?

• Anne

Yes! You are never supposed to close on your hest pump.

• Sandra Ross Warren

Anne, Don't know what a hest pump is but her air conditioner isn't closed in and has plenty of airflow on all sides.

• Sandra Ross Warren

Love the look. Very creative and gives a lot of textural interest. Looks too like there is plenty of space and gaps for airflow. Nice work.

• Yvonne Davis

Love this. Plenty of room for air flow. Gives me ideas. Thanks for sharing. Oh the naysayers, hate reading that. Wonderful. You are so creative

• Lindsey Lou

With all the metal around the unit, won't it get too hot?

• Pam

Not hot, it does have some air flow.

• Bogart Marilyn

I would be worried about air flow.

• Voni Weingart

That is beautiful. Great Job!

• Bonnbonn

The outside part of a central A/C the air blows upwards and the sides on the outside part of a central A/C within the metal housing are covered in aluminum fins so that it can displace the heat from the copper tubing that runs on the inside behind the fin, as long as there is nothing directly on the sides on the unit such as leaves or cottonwood cotton or dandylion type cotton or other stuff of the like a plastic bag the airflow will be fine as all the heat is vented upwards. Many central A/C units get this kind of treatment to hide the outside part and she has been mindful to not put her cover directly at the AC unit.

This home talker did a wonderful job in creating a unique look and the unit will be fine.

NOTE: I am aware my explanation is simple but gets to the point to help teach others at least a basic concept. This is much more useful than posting a non useful or mean comment.

• Lisa Fauerbach

This is a really cool alternative to the plastic lattice you see everywhere. The style is classic! Love it!

• Patti

Very good idea. Creative ! Plenty of air flow around this ❤️

• Tazdev77

I love it!!! However our air guy sez you have to have plenty of distance between unit and fencing for air flow. Would you mind telling me how far away it is from the unit.? Also, that metal gets hot from sun I would think 🤔. Worried about dogs and grandkids touching it. Thank you for your response 💜

• Rebecca

Yes placing fence around your a/v can cause it to over heat and not efficiently cool. Can cause a/c to break down and gave costly repairs.

• Beth Hottel

Truth!

• Patricia

Good job. Looks like your yard is beautiful, too.

• Bobby

You need to leave at least 6” between the fence and the unit. I have been in the hvac business for 43 years and some of the things people do end up costing them a lot of money!

• Gidget Hinnant Ford

Is it noisier when it rains on The metal?

• JAN

iF YOU'RE LUCKY, IT WILL BE. CAN'T BEAT THE SOUND OF RAIN ANYWHERE.

• Mark

Did you check for the required distance around the condenser for airflow?

Your picture looks like it is too close to the unit.

• Keith

I agree with you. Those outside units need lots of air to cool the gases down. Too close and you A/C will have issues

Does rs look nice.

• Barbara Lynn Praytor

I would advise more space between the unit an the screen, as well. Speaking from 20+ years of HVAC experience, you need lots of free air space around the unit. Beautiful screen,

• Barbara Cole

This awesome!!!

• Valerie

Wow! Very nicely done!

• Barbara Camarda

How much did it cost all together

• John

Won't that impede the air conditioners effectively

• Louis Pugh

I would think so! But I would think Alicia has checked into that but I don’t know John! Great ?

• Jane White

There should be at least 2’-3’ of space around the component.

• Debbie Keele

There is plenty of open space around the unit and it's beautiful to boot.

• Jul33847626

Very beautiful...but would this not affect the air con.. Also did u hinge a door on side u cant see for maintenance? Thx Jules

• Franb

I like that flashing. I'm just wondering how the hec I could attach that to my chain link fence. It may rust, but that would give it the rustic appeal. I need to keep one nosey neighbor out of my business and do not want to rip out existing fence. Any ideas would be appreciated w/o the huge expense.

• Lucille

Kitchen floor do over

• Barbara

This is anazing! We have a large propane tank that our grandkids have painted with “art!” It’s sweet, but an eye-sore! This would be a great cover-up! Thanks!