DIY Concrete Countertop!

I started this project back in February and I have to tell you, it is kicking my butt!! I have never had a project take me this long. I thought, hey, it's winter in Wisconsin, I think I will finally give my 1990's bathroom a facelift. Guess what? I am still working on it!! Life happens and you just don't get stuff done as quickly as you would like. I have to keep reminding myself, I am in my 50's and not my spritely 20's.

I am going to be posting my bathroom in the different steps that I have done so far and will post a final reveal at a later time. I feel I better post as I go, because the longer this takes me, this brain of mine might forget the steps on how I did things.

This is the counter we picked out back in the 90's. Complete with Almond bathtub, and almond toilet.

After reading so many blogs on how to do a Concrete Countertop, I figured if it doesn't turn out, we have to replace it. I posted the blogger that I found had the instructions that applied to my integral sinks: http://www.remodelaholic.com/diy-concrete-vanity-integral-sink/
If you look at this site, I literally did everything this blogger did with the application-it really is quite easy and fun!
I sanded the heck out of the countertop and sinks and picked up Henry FeatherFinish from Home Depot. It cost around 17.00 and with easy instructions on the box, I went to work.

I started the project using the trowels and then remembered I had these with my tools.

If you can get your hands on some of these, I found they worked better than the trowels or putty knives. I got these when I took a class years ago for faux finishing. They are for applying Venetian plaster and stone to walls, so perhaps you could find them at a paint store, just not sure. They bend and are more flexible when applying the concrete.
Doing the sinks were a bit tricky. I used my hands to spread out the concrete first (yes, I should have had gloves on), waited a little bit and then using a damp sponge, I smoothed out the concrete. The sponge method worked great!

The sinks were so much fun, I literally felt like a sculpture playing with this stuff.
I applied 3 coats of the Concrete, waiting 24 hours in between coats. Before applying each coat of concrete, you will sand each layer until smooth.

You want to apply THIN coats. This stuff dries super fast. I would mix one batch at a time because of how fast it would harden in my pail. If you can apply it smooth, the less sanding you will have to do. Sanding is the worse part of this project. It makes a mess but the end result will be worth it.

I used Acrylic Quikrete Concrete Cure and Seal for sealing . I had to order this on line from Home Depot.

Here is a Before the Concrete picture....
Here is the After! Complete with freshly painted vanity, shelves that I built, new faucets and new handles. Again, the bathroom is not complete but I wanted to share the first project that I tackled .

That's it! It really is an easy project, a little messy but easy. It just takes time with the waiting in between coats (that's where going to work comes in handy).

I would recommend doing this to anyone that wants to change their countertop. I love the feel of it and overall look of the concrete, it is so nice and smooth, I love it!

I will be posting soon on how I painted my bathtub and faucets...yes, I said I painted my faucets. Today, I am starting the shiplap!!

23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!

• Ouina
    Ouina

Can you color the concrete before application if you want a different look than the gray of the finished concrete? Beautiful job - well done!
    • Yes, they have concrete stain that you can apply before the sealer. (Home Depot) I would recommend doing a test area because as it dries, it gets darker
    • Thank you Ouina! Yes, as Daniele mentioned, you are able to color the concrete. I even read one blogger smeared coffee grounds to stain her concrete countertop.

• Sean-Michael Gettys
      Sean-Michael Gettys

Great idea! I bet this idea would work well for tiny homes on wheels because its so much lighter than solid concrete Coffee or wine can also be used to stain concrete. looks great! if the cottage we buy ends up being one with no updates I should give this a try!
  • Bernice
    Bernice

You did a beautiful job!
  • Karen
    Karen

Would it be suitable in a kitchen? Or would heat and grease mark it?
    • Bev
      Bev

I did this in my kitchen but added black dye to the mix... it works beautifully! I can set 'right-out-of-the-oven' pans, hot skillets, etc. on it and nothing fazes it; even hot grease spatters don't hurt it. It doesn't show staining whatever, but that may be because of the black dye. Quickrete is great because it can be applied right to existing counters that are sanded and well cleaned. Because of thin layering, it's much lighter weight than 1 1/2" - 2" of solid concrete so existing cabinets don't have to be reinforced. If, for whatever reason, it should get chipped or scratched.... just repair it with Quickrete!
    • Iwa14215215
      Iwa14215215

I don't have an anwser but a question when we first built our new home a little over a year ago but I wanted ships stamped in mine of course my contractor thought I was crazy as normal. Does anyone have any experience in this I also want to do my porch and side walk
    • Thank you for answering Bev. I have read a lot on the kitchen applications and the only thing I would recommend is looking into a really good sealer. People have commented on stains and being sure that whatever is used is okay for food to be placed on it.
  • Karen
    Karen

Hi, you didn't have to remove the top?? How did that work in the corners and up against the wall?
    • No, I did not remove the countertop. I applied concrete in place.
      I used my fingers to press into the corners. Up against the wall, as the cement was hardening, I would take my putty knives and go between the edge and the wall. It worked great.
  • Kelly
    Kelly

I didn't see in your post, what are your countertops made of?
  • Ear924315
    Ear924315

I have 5x7 kitchen tile on counter tops...can this product be used on them?
  • Shelia Moreno
    Shelia Moreno

What type of paint did you use?
  • Hedi
    Hedi

What material were the countertops to begin with?
  • Anita Fierro
    Anita Fierro

I can't wait to see how you did your tub!?
  • Bbrown53
    Bbrown53

do you do anything special around the drain hole or just coat it like the rest of the sink?
  • Val Plue
    Val Plue

How did u work around taps?
  • Dpbeee2
    Dpbeee2

How will this stand up over time with exposure to water? is it easy to clean? Easily stained? I am really interested in trying this. Thanks.
    • Christi Hughes
      Christi Hughes

I am wondering the same thing! I saw a post with this same product that someone used this on their kitchen counters and after a year it began with crumbling issues in areas. I want to use this myself but have the same concerns about longevity!
    • I did this project in February and truthfully have not had any problems. Cleaning is no problem at all - I just use disinfectant pop up wipes or my Norwex Antibacterial clothes. When we got our hunter green counter top I got in the habit of wiping out the sink after each use because it just looked cleaner (and kept it cleaner). With this concrete, I am doing the same thing. The sealer really is a good product.
      I will say that even though it is sealed, you do have to be careful with what you put on it. Concrete is porous and if you spill baby oil, nail polish remover, etc., I'm afraid it would soak in and make it a real mess. Not sure if you would be able to go over it with another layer of concrete, but I would, just to see if it would work.
      As far as the longevity, ask me in a year, I would like to say it is still holding strong, so we will see
    • Dpbeee2
      Dpbeee2

Thanks for taking your valuable time to respond. It looks great! The sink area I want to trial it on is in a very small guest hall bath. I pinned it and, may wait til winter when I rarely gave house guests. Thank you again.
    • No Problem...good luck with your project!! Thanks again for your comment!
  • Sarah Marks
    Sarah Marks

Cold you add stain or a coloring agent to the concrete?
  • Robin B. Kemp
    Robin B. Kemp

Looks great! Do you think this would work on a laminate kitchen counter top?
    • I am sure it would. You clean it up good with a degreaser and sand it and then vacuum up and wipe it off one more time and then apply the Henry's. A lot of people have done this in their kitchen.
      I keep telling other people, do your homework and be sure to find a good sealer for in the kitchen. Good Luck, and thank you for your comment!!
  • Denahensley
    Denahensley

What paint did I use on the cabinet?
  • Elaine T
    Elaine T

can't wait to see how you painted your tub mine is 50's pink as are the shower tiles.
  • Trudy
    Trudy

Can this be colored using the same concrete colors used for concrete kitchen counters?
  • Diana Deiley
    Diana Deiley

How did you and what did you do with the drain? Thank you.
  • Robin Jeanne Sasse
    Robin Jeanne Sasse

I'm confused how did it turn green did you paint countertop green or was the cement a green color?
  • Pat Self
    Pat Self

Love this ! Did I miss the list of products?
    • Thank you Pat! Henry's Feather Finish and Quikcrete Sealer were the only products. Scroll up on the post and you will see the products. Thank you again for your comment.
  • Heather
    Heather

Do you think this would work on laminate countertops? I’ve only seen it done of marble.

• Yes, I do believe you can. I have seen a lot of people on Pinterest that go over their laminate countertops with this method.

• Chaloe Young
      Chaloe Young

I am wondering that also. My daughter in-law did her laminate countertops with a kit from Canadian tire and they look amazing.

• Kerry
    Kerry

I have an undermount sink In my bathroom, and I like the color of it (white). Would it work to tape off the inside rim of the sink and only do the counter?

• Janice Billiter Castle
    Janice Billiter Castle

my countertop is marble, think this would work on it. and can you add color to it

• Jean Quintana
    Jean Quintana

I would love to be able to do this. I wish I was 50 again. It's just not fair there's all this cool DIY stuff to do now. Oh, I've done DIY my whole life, it's just that I love all the new stuff and the how too instructions and videos they have out now. I'm glad I found you because your a DIY Star.