How can I update my China hutch?

MindyDevon ThibeaultElizabeth Michels Pinizzotto
+2

Hi! I have a China hutch that belonged to my grandparents I assume was antique
  • Hillela G.

I am a fan of chalkpaint, but you might not want to paint antique furniture, its a questions of personal prefrence
  • Angela

Chalk paint seems to be all the rage, but you might want to check into milk paint too. It's very pretty as well.
  • I agree. Some items may be best just cleaned and restored if they are antiques.
  • Devon Thibeault

Step one is always to clean it up and see what it looks like then. Many pieces will look fantastic once decades of built up wax, grime, and grease have been removed from them. I recommend starting with denatured alcohol (hardware store or home center) in an inconspicuous place. Dampen a clean rag, rub in little circles, and watch as decades of dirt lift off. Warning: If the rag seems to stick a little, stop immediately and leave the piece alone for a while. The finish is shellac and the denatured alcohol will soften it to the point that you will damage it by pulling it off in big chunks. If the finish is shellac, clean with Murphy's Oil Soap instead. An old tooth brush will help with those tight spots and corners.

• Mindy

Have it appraised first if you are thinking of painting or refinishing it. If it is a valuable piece this will greatly diminish its value. I like Devons suggestions.