Curb appeal help on shoestring budget

+19
Making progress ...some before & During pics.
e curb appeal help on shoestring budget
OMG! 1960's Ewww!
e curb appeal help on shoestring budget
A more recent BEFORE pic besides the winter pic.
e curb appeal help on shoestring budget
Still working on it but making progress. Too hot & humid here in Ohio to paint the rest but was able to get the porch painted before the hot/humid weather hit.
e curb appeal help on shoestring budget
A wider View... still a work in progress. I'm doing this by myself so it's taking forever ! Lol. I do a lil bit after work every night & then every weekend.
  • Rina Wheeler Silverstar Rina Wheeler Silverstar on May 02, 2017
    If you cant afford to at least paint it yourself, then I dont see that anything can be done otherwise. Painting inside and out is the most effective use of a decorating budget. I cant get a real good look at it but the front paint appears to be peeling...

• Brenda Brenda on May 02, 2017
      Yes, it's peeling- & yes, I plan on painting it. To make a long story short-for the last 21 yrs Ive been a single mom raising my 3 kids (who are now adults), but about 7 years ago, my son's best friend's dad died, so we took his friend in & he lived with us. Awhile back- he asked if we could move into his house that he lived in before his dad died. Unbeknownst to ME, the house had been sitting abandoned since his fathers passing. UGHH!!! Needless to say, ive spent the last 2 years fixing up the INSIDE. I have finally got the inside somewhat livable, but now I need to work on the OUTSIDE, (before my neighbors disown me! Lol). It's a blank slate- I can do whatever I want. Yes my funds are limited, as it's still just me & only my income, But.. I want to fix this house up for my "unofficially" adopted son, who is in college now, so he has a nice house to come home to & shared memories with his dad when he was younger. I'm looking for paint color suggestions, landscaping, porch decorations, etc. thanks for your reply! we are in Ohio- this pic is from this winter so I will update the pic tonight after work. :-)

• Sharon Sharon on May 02, 2017
    Ok, first the section on the left looks shabby, need to repair that paint.
    Second I would add some trim around those windows to even up the mis-matched size, and some shutters.
    Third I would paint the trim, shutters and front door in a bright color to add some personality. Discount paint could come from a sale, visiting local paint stores for there sale corner, sometimes the color wasn't right or the customer didn't pick it up, and many times they can re-tint what is there. Keep the colors neutral. The Habitat for Humanity Restore or an architectural recycling store is a cheap way to do some re-decorating. A disabled friend of mine hired Habitat for Humanity to do repairs and painting for them, and a couple of us did work to fulfill their sweat equity requirements.
    Forth, I would create a better set of front steps leading to the front door. And maybe put two potted evergreens on either side. I know its a winter shot, but there is very little landscaping interest.
    Fifth..... where is the drive and walk way up to the front steps.
    Everything inside should look fresh, well-lit (update lighting fixtures, you can get some great ones sometimes from Goodwill, Restore or St. Vinnies), and smell good. Realtors trick is to make the kitchen and bath up to date, as these are the two rooms that sell a house. Make it smell good by baking cookies.
    Houses can be staged by renting furniture, then people can imagine what there things will look like in the home. A bare house is hard to visualize. If you living there, remove all clutter and downsize for same reason, you want the buyer to visualize there things in the house.

• You are too funny, but I know what you mean, I feel like that too some days. This photo still has snow on the ground . . . Please tell me the snow has melted . . . Could you please post a spring pic? From this photo, I would certainly paint and do something with the windows. For the tree in the foreground, how about a bench around it? Or some large rocks, some flowers and mulch? It appears you have a bit of a front porch, I guarantee you have some stuff in the house or yard to upcycle or DIY some cute stuff for the porch along with a few potted plants or flowers. When money is tight and I am itching to do "something" I go shopping in my own house, pull out all kinds of random stuff and see what I can do with it. I bet you can do the same and will surprise yourself with what you will unearth. Keep us posted! 🙄

• Holly Kinchlea-Brown Holly Kinchlea-Brown on May 02, 2017
    Definitely paint as the first step...make nice shutters (can be done from pallet wood) for the left hand windows....curve a garden bed from the left hand fir tree to the porch and gradually fill In with low growing flowering shrubs...mulch can be put in until you can afford to buy the shrubs. Can't see if there is a walkway to the front door, but should have a curve from the driveway. Again, can be outlined and filled with mulch or chips and dust until you can afford a different hardscape. A couple of upcycled chairs (from thrift shop or garage sales) on the front porch with maybe a couple of small planters. This should give you a good start without breaking the bank!

• Five little hens Five little hens on May 02, 2017
    See if there's a Habitat for Humanity resource store nearby. You can buy paint and a lot of other things very inexpensively. Also, check with your town, see if they have a Christmas in April program and get registered for it. They send teams of people out to paint, repair, etc. based on need. They did a great job on the house across the street AND put a new roof on it too.

• Cindy Herget- Donaldson Cindy Herget- Donaldson on May 02, 2017
    I'd paint the left side a different color and try to make the windows appear to be the same size get rid of the folding chairs by the front door paint the front door a bold color. Have the grow kids helping out. Good luck

• See 1 previous
      'Tis good to have a house

perha get a permit to go get a load river rock with the growm kids
      be creative. I think the upper left side of the house also needs somethi lg to break up the size. Perhaps a faux window or a faux hexagon attic shutter Good luck

• Eroque022810 Eroque022810 on May 02, 2017
    I would say that in keeping with the lake I would paint the house a Sandy color so light tan with brown window trim. I would paint the front door as well in the same house color but dark brown trim. For curb appeal I would remove the 2 small trees on right side of house because they block the view to home in 3 seasons of the year. I would plant impacients around bottom of tree and some hostas along the home. This boy will only have to water them. Keep it simple for him to manage. Besides once the trees are full of leaves they will add color to background while he will make the house pop. Please stay away from a cold color like it has now and is uninviting and cold. Keep it neutral like the environment it is in.

• Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on May 04, 2017
    Go to a paint store to look at the color combos and pick one you like. I would add shutterscareound the windows on the left, add a window box to the smaller window, paint the trim the same color as the shutters and the door a contrasting color for some pop. Colorful flowers near the steps would add interest. Good luck with your project and congrats for raising all those children.

• Brenda Brenda on May 12, 2017
    took this a few days ago

• Karen Ray-Stewart Karen Ray-Stewart on May 12, 2017
    I think you need some kind of shrub under/between the two windows that don't match to draw your eye away from the windows - if you paint the house I would also paint the shutters a lighter color, You need something around the front steps (below the chairs) that shows up.

• Barb Barb on Jul 25, 2017
    Outstanding job!! 🎩 Hats for to you. I think new post over the two poles and add a fake one one the left that can be purchased at Home Depot . I would paint the door a red or terra cotta color to match the bottom brick work. The porch and stairs I would paint those in Home Depot's special textured stone paint. I have pictures ideas. Add window boxes. That fake tree, place in a larger pot this way it looks real. With winter, like where I live in Niagara Falls make a fall and winter porch theme. The Christmas tree shops are a great place to find seasonal things.

• Barb Barb on Jul 25, 2017
    I forgot to add the porch paint picture

• Brenda Brenda on Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks Barb! I still have a long way to go - it's making me crazy that it's too hot & humid to paint the exterior but I'll get it done eventually! Lol. I actually DID buy porch paint in a gray color but again, it's been too humid, so it's just sitting here collecting dust. Ugh! I love all ur ideas! Thanks again!

• Barb Barb on Jul 26, 2017
      Yes it's been hot in are neck of the woods, keep up all the great work🛠🔩💳💵lol

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 25, 2017
    The thing that bugs me the most looking at this house, and I commented on it last time you posted is the uneven appearance of the 2 windows on the left. I would get some wide wood trim that would balance them out, and then add shutters maybe. or you could add two window boxes of varying depths to make the windows look even.

• Brenda Brenda on Jul 25, 2017
      Thank u Sharon. That's exactly what I'm doing. I have a friend of mine building me a long window box for under the big living room window (102 inches wide) & another window box for under that smaller dumb window- forget what the width was. I will hang that one at the same eye level as the window next to it. So hopefully that will balance everything on that side. I told him not to rush because I still need to paint the exterior / & I can't do that until the weather- Heat & humidity- ease up. I bought a matching pair of black shutters for the big livingroom window as well. Need to drill holes in them as they don't come predrilled. I had a lot of rotted wood to rip out & replace on the porch soffit, so that ate up a lot of time & money.. Still can't decide on a front door color. It only has 1coat of white primer on it now. Other than the window boxes- I'm doing the rototilling, mulching, clearing the overgrown jungle- lol- painting, priming, caulking, replacing wood, etc., by myself, so unfortunately this may take a year & a day to complete. Ugh! Sorry. I still have the sides & back yard to do! That's a whole other nightmare. I'm on an acre of mature trees & years of neglect from it sitting abandoned. I have dreams of a beautiful back yard with a firepit area..... Might take me till I die, but I'm gonna try my best! Lol

• Sandy Mills McDowell Sandy Mills McDowell on Jul 25, 2017
    The only thing I know for sure is to brighten up a house is paint the front door, it doesn't have to match the shutters you have already purchased. You may try Red, Gray or even Green. Get a small can and see if you like it!

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 26, 2017
    Sounds like you have a plan.... I like the sounds of it. Whatever you paint the door, I would make it bright.

• Emily Emily on Jul 27, 2017
    O.K. pretty door. Make it prettier by painting it the bright shiny color of your choice. To balance the windows at the left, put window boxes under the windows so it fits just right under the left window, plant tallish growing plants in them to mask the disparity in the windows. Plant some ferns (dig them up in the woods) in the ground in front of those windows. Ferns are free, look good, easy to have and die back in winter, renew in spring.