Hanging Patio Light From a $2 Pot

$6

Sometimes you just need a simple and inexpensive fix to solve a problem. I have an awkward area of my patio where I've always wanted to install some type of pendant light (mainly for aesthetic). Using a $2 plastic planter pot and an LED Battery-powered push light, I did just that. And now, you can too!
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
SUPPLIES:

- Plastic Pot

- S-Hook x 2

- Chain

- 3M Command Velcro Strips

- LED Battery-operated Push Light (Outdoor)

- Spray Paint

- Drill
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 1) Drill a hole into the center of your planter pot.

hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 2) Spray paint your pot in the color of your choice. Don't forget to do the inside! I used a navy blue for the exterior and a metallic silver for the inside.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 3) Insert your chain through the hole from the exterior to the interior of your pot.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 4) Attach an S-hook to the end of the chain and secure the chain tightly around the hook.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
It should look like this and will hold your chain in place.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Next, grab your LED push light. With just the click of your hand, the button turns on and off.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 6) Attach 3M Command Velcro Strips to the backside of your battery-operated LED push light.

Be sure not to cover the battery-pack opening, just in case you need to change the batteries overtime.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 7) Stick & secure the light into the center of your pot, covering the S-Hook.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
Step 8) Apply another S-hook to the end of your chain and hang on your patio or deck.
hanging patio light from a 2 pot
My patio now has a little bit more decor added and I couldn't be happier with the result. The light provides just enough light for reading during the evenings.

• Jixyrocker711

How do you keep the paint from flaking off the plastic planter pot? I've tried both Rustoleum & Krylon brands of paint for plastic. I haven't had any luck in getting either one to adhere without flaking off regardless of plastic type . Clear coating doesn't help either.
    I have discovered that if I spray paint an item with one brands color & clear coat with the other brand, I get a crackling effect The effect is inconsistent showing up in a patchy fashion, but gives an aged look to the item, which is fun!
    • Itsmemic

I have never had the paint flake off and I spray paint everything outside !

• Tracy

How do you change the batteries since the light is stuck to the pot? It seems like it would be hard to get the light out.

• Millies_mom47

They used the "Command" brand of velcro strips also used for hanging pictures, so you put the two pieces of velcro together and then pull off the paper protecting the glue on the strips and attach it to the back of the light and then pull the paper from the opposite side of the velcro and attach it to the inside of the pot. When you need to change the batteries you just pull the light off carefully so not as to pull all the velcro off the pot too. Change the batteries and stick the velcro together again. Done!

• Pip

How do you turn the light on and off?