Pam Harvell Frick
Pam Harvell Frick
  • Florence, SC

Can Amerylis be planted in yard?

LandsharkinncElizabeth DionMij5118437
+2

I have 3 large pots full but they get so tall and the blooms are so large the stems fall to the ground. mine get morning sun in the pots. Has anyone had any luck with planting in yard?
  • Beth Shorts

It would depend on what gardening zone you live in.. but here is a good website:

• Sharon

I live in Fl. and put ours in the ground a few years ago. At present they are in full bloom.

• Mij5118437

I live in Mobile Alabama and I have dozens that have been planted and bloom reliably every year. If you are afraid it might get too cold for them then plant the entire pot in the ground with the bulbs, pull it up before frost and put in a cool basement or garage for the winter, should work.
  • Elizabeth Dion

Depends upon your gardening zone. When I lived in Houston TX mine stayed in the ground year round and bloomed beautifully year after year. In a colder climate you will need to dig the bulbs and bring them inside for the winter; set them back out in the spring
  • Landsharkinnc

I'm in zone 7, and we get freezing temps -- mine do fine -- not protected at all -