What is it? What are these green clumps?

PatIrene ParrishAne15888502
+6

Every year I have these green clump's, that look like clumps of grass, come up in my garden. They spread everywhere. When I pull or dig them up there are large amounts of tiny bulbs at the ends. I've been living here for 21 years and a few of them were here when I moved in. Now they're taking over every garden. What all they and how can I stop it?

Thank you,
Annette Lindstrom

• Judy Ferrell

where are you and can you send a picture?
  • Lori Kelly

You may have pampas grass. A picture would help determine that.
  • Sounds like a type of ornamental grass like Monkey grass (Liriope). The bulbs store water so they need little care. They grow in shade and sun. I actually just planted a whole row in my garden! They make a wonderful ground cover. Short of digging them all up, try something like Round Up. Ask your local garden centver, and bring a sample or photo.
    When you know for sure what it is you might also think about listing them on Craigslist believe it or not! I've gotten rid of several plants this way- free plants: you dig, you haul! People love free stuff :)
    , Liriope
    • Sandra Hudson Allen

In Texas it is called Monkey Grass. It originally comes from the NutGrass family. Was developed as a ground cover that is very evasive and is hard to kill off.
  • Ane15888502

I'll take a picture as soon as it stops raining here in the Chicago area. It's been raining for four days now. The bulbs on the roots look like onions. If I let them grow they get tiny white flowers on them....then the whole plant turns yellow droops and finally dies. The funny thing Is thet come up way across the yard where they have never been before.
  • Kristil Albof

This might sound weird but do they smell onion-y?? They could be a type of shallots
  • Ane15888502

Actually yes they do but why do they keep spreading everywhere? I have a shallot farm.
  • Irene Parrish

There are wild onions; they make pretty white flowers. They maybe too compacted to actually bloom. Try dividing a clump into a larger area and see what happens next year.
  • Pat

Sounds a little like our garlic....we planted some by the garage a few years ago and it does multiply but not to another place in our yard. Do you think a squirrel or another small animal could have planted this grassy clump (whatever it is) in another part of your yard? Squirrels plant nuts and acorns all over our yard and we have small trees growing out of the beds that we have to pull.