Can I plant palm trees in Delaware? If so where can I buy them?

Joseph WeaverDonna R HornockDia5689719
+12

Palm Trees are considered house plants in your area.
  • Beth Shorts

The last time I was in Rehoboth Beach, De, I saw some palm trees along side a local restaurant. I went in and asked them how they managed to keep them alive during the winter.. and the owner laughed and told me "we RENT these palm trees every spring and return them to the rental place every October".... Sooooooooooo... I think if you want palm trees in Delaware, you will have to grow indoor ones...
    • Luis Arroyo

I donk know why they'd say that.

Maybe they're tired of explaining it.....but I have a theory....

I think the place has new management since the yucca and other subtropicals have been removed from the sidewalk area.

I learned of these palms on the "DC Tropics" blog. (Still active on Facebook)

While I'm sure the succulents & tropicals go to storage, the Trachies & yuccas remain year round & the 2014-15 "polar vortex" killed the north facing Trachies in the rear.

• Dia5689719

Found out I am in zone 7 and I can plant Windmill Palms and Pindo Palms. I just wanted to put a few around my pool.
  • Shirley Heikkinen

Good luck, and be sure to protect them during the harsh winters there.
    • Donna R Hornock

most of Delaware has winter temperatures which do not drop below 5 degrees f, and snowfall which exceeds 1 foot per year. Needle palms and dwarf palmetto are hardy outside south of Christiana.
  • Dia5689719

Will do and thanks.
  • Donna R Hornock

Ty Ty Nursery, an online retail site sells both needle palms and dwarf palmetto. Their claims of hardiness for other palms is greatly exaggerated, unless you live at Lewes or other shore points, I wouldn't try them (other than needle palm or dwarf palmetto.)
  • Joseph Weaver

If Delaware was meant to have Palm trees(which to me are warm weather trees) we would see them, yet there are none to 0, so with that said, travel south to south Carolina, that is where you will really start seeing pam trees, clear to the end of the keys. Palm trees 35 miles south of philly just does not seem right. As much as we want to be san Francisco, we are not. enjoy your blue spruce and embrace cold weather in winter, and hot and sticky in august and September. At least we have beautiful springs, and crisp autumn days are so awesome, with a blue sky second to none. especially travelling through upper new castle county when the trees are so beautiful and in full color.

• Donna R Hornock

Needle palms can be grown outside in southern New Castle County (Glasgow, Bear , and Delaware City southward.) We have four needle Palm and a Southern live oak that are growing well. Our home is in Glasgow 6 1/2 miles south of Newark.

• Joseph Weaver

Hi, The palms I was referring to are the tree type. I haven't seen any in Delaware. They type in the photos are very pretty for landscaping purposes for sure, and I will probably look into purchasing a few for the landscaping at my Home in Bethany Beach Delaware. Thank You.