Chas' Crazy Creations
Chas' Crazy Creations
  • Fort Collins, CO

Repurposed Can to Lantern

$2

Here is an easy and inexpensive way to create lanterns from cans just in time for summer!

repurposed can to lantern
Fill your can with water.
repurposed can to lantern
Place in the freezer over night to freeze the water.
repurposed can to lantern
Decide on your lantern design.
repurposed can to lantern
You'll need a hammer along with a nail or punch to make your holes.
repurposed can to lantern
Pound the nail or punch through the can into the ice. You only need to go far enough to go through the can.
repurposed can to lantern
Continue making holes in your can to make your design. Once your done, place your can upside down in the sink and let the ice melt out.
repurposed can to lantern
Add a candle, led light, or solar light.

You can stop here or add a handle...
repurposed can to lantern
If you're adding the handle - before you let the ice thaw out, poke 2 more holes on either side where your wire will go though.
repurposed can to lantern
You'll need some wire to make the handle, and you can add some beads for beauty.
repurposed can to lantern
Poke your wire through the hole and twist the end. Add beads onto the wire.
repurposed can to lantern
Once your have created your desired handle length poke the other end of your wire through the can and twist the end.
repurposed can to lantern
Hang your can on a garden hook, tree, or fence outside.
repurposed can to lantern
I really like the way the beads glow.
repurposed can to lantern
Older kids can make these too. I learned how to do this when I was a kid in girl scouts.
repurposed can to lantern
I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

• Can
  • Water
  • Hammer  (Dollar Tree/Hardware Store)
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Vatburr

I don't understand the purpose of freezing water in the can???
    • Chas' Crazy Creations

You are correct. It helps hold the can's form and also provides a cushion of sorts as you hammer the nail in.
  • Pam Walker

Good Job!! Addition: You could also glue the beads to the holes in the heart too. The heart would glow multi-colored. You could also do multiple cans with solid colors on each can & watch them all light up (one blue, one pink, etc). :)
    • Pam Walker

I would freeze, punch then paint. You could still use the light inside to highlight the holes & the glow paint on the outside to light up the can. It all depends on whether you want the can to show up or just the lighted holes. Your choice in creativity ~ there's no right or wrong. :)

• Cindy

Your lanterns are beautiful. I think I am going to try this. Where did you purchase the beads? Thank you. From Cindy.
    • Chas' Crazy Creations

Thank you Cindy. I was lucky enough to have the beads given to me but you should be able to find them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Would love to see pictures of your when your done. ☺️