What is THE easiest, non expensive thing to put in my front flowerbed?

MargaretMarj MRC CreationsJanet Pizaro
+6

What are you referring to flowers,mulch?
    • Randa Hacke Mauch

I know NOTHING about gardening and really can not do the bending, kneeling, and stooping that is required. Therefore, I am looking for something that does not require much work.
  • Beth Shorts

The new Wave Petunias are really easy to grow .. (even my brown thumb can do it). and they spread amazingly fast, and come in practically every colour of the rainbow
  • Kathi M. Miles

Iris is about the easiest ever! I have across the front of the flower bed, then I have daffodils and little grape hyacinths scattered inside the flower bed. Marigolds are really good too !
    • Sl64

Iris are easy and fill in nicely. You can often find them for free on Craig"s list this time of year.
  • Peggy Burnette

Go to local nursery and get perennials, they come back every year.

Try container gardening with easy care succulents such as sedum.They come in a variety of colors.Try planting portulaca,no maintenance and full sun.
  • Marj MRC Creations

I like Hostas because they are maintenance free, affordable, and will grow and slowly spread out, though not be an invasive plant you'll have to get rid of.
  • Margaret

I would suggest lining the flower bed area with black plastic or weed barrier, planting some perennials such as peonies in cut out holes, and digging some holes for flower pots to be buried empty. Cover the area with mulch. Then when you want to plant some annuals, just drop the nursery pots in the hole already there. That way all you have to do is water, fertilize, cut back the perennials in fall and pull out the dead annuals. I have had trouble keeping weeds and grass from growing under the plastic and weed barrier. If I had taken the time to prepare the soil underneath by using a herbicide or killing all seeds and vegetation with a flame torch, if you are organic, I would not have had that problem. My flower bed has been taken over by lawn grass, naturalized, but my bulbs still come up as do the peonies. I also planted hardy roses, azaleas, and bridal wreath verbena that do nicely in the grass until they are large enough to shade underneath and shade out the grass. It is difficult to cut the grass around my plants against the fence to keep it looking well groomed. I sit on my bottom with my battery powered grass clippers to do the trimming, scooting down the row. No bending or nothing strenuous after planting. I love my garden and hope you will love yours.