DIY Upholstered Headboard

$50

I decided after looking at a lot of different tutorials online that I could probably create my own for quite cheap. This headboard cost less than $100 and only took a couple hours to make. Your cost will depend on the cost of the fabric you choose and if you can get the other materials on sale.
 We got this giant 5×8 piece of MDF from Home Depot for $5!! Yes only $5. There was some damage to the edges of the piece but since we were cutting out out shape it didn’t matter. I started by by tracing a rectangle and then used a clock to trace out the circular shapes. Measure and trace out your shape then cut it out with a jigsaw.
Once your shape is cut out trace out your upholstery foam and glue it on with spray adhesive. The foam was the most expensive part of this project. I used 2″ foam. Cover the foam with batting for extra padding and smoothness. Staple it in place using a staple gun on the backside of the headboard. I bought the foam and batting from Joanne craft store.  If you have pets they will think this is a new soft dog bed you created just for them. Ha ha. I couldn’t get Luna off to take a photo.
The next step is to staple your fabric on top of the foam. I couldn’t find a fabric I liked at the fabric store and I didn’t want to purchase it online either. I actually used a duvet cover from Target! I cut the top layer of the duvet cover off and stapled it in place. I love this pattern. 

To add stability we added legs to the headboard so that it wouldn’t tip over and fall on us while we sleep.

The great thing about this headboard is that I can change it later. If I decide to redo my bedroom I can easily cover the fabric with something new or disassemble it and cut the wood to change the shape or drill holes in the wood and create tufts! 
Finished product

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Humaira Siddiqui
    Humaira Siddiqui

What's the difference between 2" regular foam and upholstery foam? Aren't they same?
    • Sandy
      Sandy

It's all about the density of the foam. Upholstery foam is usually a heavier density so it doesn't flatten out on furniture. Hope this helps.

• Renee
    Renee

Can I use plywood instead of cardboard ?and can it just be fixed to the wall instead of legs added?

• Cynthia H
      Cynthia H

We did the same thing as Leanne over 20 years ago. The plywood, etc. has held up nicely. We used quilt batting instead of foam.

• Rhonda Collins
    Rhonda Collins

How many yards of material did you use?