What is the right way for watering cactus?

Moh17305388L W FFlorent
+12

Thanks a lot forme the opportunité to get the right answer from Hometalkers.
Thanks again.
Mohamed zane.
To much Walter?

For sure to much water. Cactus retain moisture through there thick leaves.
  • Shany

Cactus should be watered once a week, avoiding the water to fall on the leaves. You can always touch the dirt and if it feels very dry water the dirt around the roots do not over water.
  • Meg

Simply place the pot with the cactus in it ... in a inch of water and allow it to suck up as much as it needs .
    • Bink

I can't tell you how many cacti I have killed, but this sounds like the best idea! Wish I had known earlier......
  • Kate

depends on where it is. Hot, humid outside needs VERY LITTLE human water. Under these conditions, maybe 1 cup a month!
    Anywhere else they should be allowed to dry out (dirt) completely before you pour water on them. How do you think, after all, they survive in the desert? :)

Too much water...they will rot!
  • Ani7137934

Hi Mohamed, my mother was one of the best gardeners I ever saw (green fingers). She always told me (for this plant) pour yourself a full glass of water, you drink half and the other half goes to the plant, once a week, depending how hot the climate is where you live, maybe twice a week. Also place some small stones around the plant area. Good luck Mohamed.
  • Jackie Lochhead

use a meter to determine the level of moisture in soil everytime you are tempted to water ANY plant. Looks just like a meat thermometer and can be bought at any garden centre - got mine at Walmart. When a cactus is completely dry - they like being dry - give it a small amount of water. It's so easy to overwater a plant - especially if you have many varieties and have a watering "schedule". Water a plant when it needs it - not because it's Saturday !
  • Jud4919491

Hi, I have a water meter that you stick into the soil. It tells you the moisture in there. When it is on " dry " I water. Very inexpensive on Ebay. Use it on all my potted plants. You would love one.
  • Barbara Granger Yarbrough

I have never lost a cactus. Living in Arizona for many years, I watered the plants on occasion. It only rains about 4" a year and the cactus stay beautiful. I would say 1/2 cup a week is good.
  • Diana

I have multiple succulents and I saturate them with water once a month. I keep them in a window sill. They are growing like crazy. They are used to drought conditions so once a month watering is good enough for them
  • Mamamia

cacti hold so much water that if you water too much, they will fall over
  • Florent

Yes, too much water. And maybe bad ground. Cactus need a sand mixed ground to grow, and a good drain layer. Water them once a week or less.
  • L W F

My Daddy always said to water your cacti when it rained in Arizona! Good luck - I ALWAYS overwater...didn't read the weather for Arizona!

• Moh17305388

Thanks a lot to all the fellow home talkers for their helping to solve m'y watering problème. Thanks again.
    Mohamed zane