How do you divide hosta plants and start new plants?

Joanne Sanda512181Barbara
+4

www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/how-to-divide-hostas/
  • Anna Felesena Summers

They should divide as a stalk root and all. So you would just replant as you would any new plant. You do need to take care when digging up and dividing so you don't damage the root or stalk.
  • Colleen Sturma Reynolds

I have just gotten a spade and stuck it in the ground and dug a chunk up and transplanted it. I have also dug up the entire thing and cut it up with a sharp knife and divided it that way.
  • Brenda

Dig up a big clump and use a fork to divide the plants. Plant each in new hole and water well.
  • Barbara

All of these comments are great, but when a friend gave me some that she had split, i didn't think they were going to take. Be patient if they look droopy....they'll be fine!
  • 512181

If possible, the best time to transplant would be in the spring when the shoots are just starting to come up. Cut the root ball with the shovel, and replant the sections. If you don't might droopy plants, transplant any time. They are hard to kill as long as you keep the transplanted hosta watered.
  • Joanne Sanda

I find the best time to divide hostas is in the fall after they have bloomed and
    the leaves are dying. Simply dig up the large hosta plant and with a shovel
    divide it into 2 or 4 pieces. They are hardy plants and if you cut a few roots
    they'll still survive. Plant the pieces and in the spring new shoots will come
    up as usual - never any droopy leaves.