Alyson Pratico
Alyson Pratico
  • Van Nuys, CA

I found a wooden folding chair. It's sort of smallish.

BobbieCarol RoachC.B.
+2

It has a rattan seat that could use some reinforcing. I could use some ideas on how to do that. Also, when I said smallish- it could be used by a child. So far I've sanded it down and I'm ready to paint it Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Jane Ketchum

You could create a solid upholstered seat using a piece of plywood or MDF & foam. Alternatively, I've seen some cute Macrame seats. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/82894449370624222/ There are also some designs of woven fabric.
  • Alyson Pratico

Thanks, Jane! I appreciate your input. I like the plywood idea-it's something easy that I could probably do!

• C.B.

If your piece of plywood is in pretty nice shape...round off the corners & stain it, seal it & then apply a cute yellow duck painting or a bear/puppy/kitten painting to the seat & back.
  • Carol Roach

So you've sanded the chair, now remove the rattan and paint your chair your favorite color with outdoor paint. When it is dry put a colorful potted plant in the hole created when you removed the rattan. It will be beautiful on your front or back porch or patio.
  • Bobbie

I've seen these small chairs refinished (painted or some stained) and the rattan was replaced with macramé.