Alyson Pratico
Alyson Pratico
  • Van Nuys, CA

I want to paint a watering can-do I prime it first?

ArdaleJanet PizaroHttp://gooch8@comcast.net
+4

It's your standard watering can- I guess it's tin. What type of primer would be the best? Thanks!!

What is it made out of?
  • Http://gooch8@comcast.net

Paint it with exterior primer and paint in one. First rough it up with brillo or sandpaper. Rustoleum is the best.
  • Ardale

I would use exterior Kilz paint to prime my watering can! You can get this at any local hardware store or the big hardware stores like Lowes, Home Depot or Menards. Make sure it's exterior Kilz and not the interior Kilz.
    • Alyson Pratico

Thanks, Ardale. I went out to the garage and my roommate has 2 cans of exterior Kilz! Yeah!! Thanks, Alyson

For a watering can that nobody knows what it is made out of really...
  • Ardale

Boy you sure lucked out!  Good luck with your project, you may have to put 2 coats of Kilz on your watering can since your painting metal. Hope you share a pic of your watering can once you finished with it. I'd love to see how it turned out for you!